Chapter 12: A Request

"You're going out of town?"  Melanie asked, a bit surprised.  Victoria finished telling her they were going on a small trip.  Since they rarely went anywhere.  With being busy at work.  It caught Melanie off guard.  That she and Levi had time for a vacation.  Victoria nodded.  "Yeah.  Levi told me last night.  He surprised me."  She smiled.  "It's only for a few days."  Victoria added.  She thought there was a hint of concern in Melanie's question.  "I thought you'd love to be rid of us. We can cancel if you want.."  Melanie rolled her eyes.  "No!"  She cut in.  Victoria raised an eye. Well that was a little too quick.  At least you could've pretended.

"Where are you going?"  Melanie asked.  "I'm not sure.   Levi said it's a surprise where he's taking me.  Guess he's had the trip planned out for awhile.  He even called work in secret asking if I could take some vacation.  I was very caught off guard the other day when they gave me the week off.  But now I know why."  Victoria chuckled.  "Did you need help packing?"  A small smile formed at the question.  Things have gotten hectic at work again.  It felt like Victoria hardly got to see Melanie.  "I wouldn't mind at all.."

"Is everything ready?"  Levi asked, making his way home from work.  "I'm all set.  Melanie helped me pack."  Victoria answered.  The two girls made their way downstairs.  Setting the suitcases by the door.  Right as Levi came into the house.  Levi managed a small smile seeing both gals coming downstairs.  He noticed Melanie had been in a better mood the last few days.  And wondered if it was because of meeting Anthony.

After her friends were gone.  Melanie managed to drift off to sleep.  At first, she enjoyed the silence.  But then the quiet started stirring her thoughts.  So Melanie chose to rest.  In hopes they'd settle.  Sleep didn't last long.  Before an image formed in Melanie's mind.  It was the night she received the call Paul was in the accident.  Melanie's heart raced as she approached his figure in the dream.  Tears streamed down her face, seeing him laying still on the table.  Give him a chance Mel.  A voice whispered in the distance.

Melanie jolted with a scream.  Her heart raced.  That night was so vivid in the back of her mind. There was one thing that confused her.  That voice.  It sounded familiar.  It sounded like Paul's. Melanie took a few deep breaths to calm down.  Taking a glance around the room.  Nobody was there but her.  But that couldn't be Paul.  Why would he be persuading her to give Anthony a chance?

Melanie buried her face in her hands.  Taking a few more deep breaths to steady her heart.  It was still racing a mile a minute.  Melanie's body jolted at the sound of her phone ringing.  She reached into her pocket.  Glancing at the name lighting up the screen.  Anthony.  Melanie took a moment to compose herself.  Before pressing the button to answer.  "H..  Hello?"  Her voice sounded strained.  And a small tear managed to streak down her face.

"Melanie..  Hey.."  She could hear skepticism in Anthony's voice.  Melanie supposed he changed his mind about taking her out again.  And she didn't blame her.  She wasn't the most fun person to be with right now.  "Anthony..  Is everything alright?"  Though Melanie did her best to keep calm, Anthony could hear shakiness in her voice.  And for a split second, felt concern for her.

"Have you eaten yet?"  Melanie glanced over at the clock.  It was six.  Victoria and Levi left only a few hours ago.  She'd fallen asleep almost right after they left.  "Oh, um.  No I haven't.  I was about to."  "I'm on break.  I can bring something over if you'd like?"  Melanie ran a hand through her hair.  She didn't want anyone around right now.  She wanted to be by herself.  But after the dream she had.  It's probably a good idea if someone was with her.  Even if it was for a little while.  "You don't have to do that.  You're on your dinner break."

"I don't mind at all.  It's no trouble."  Melanie sat in silence, before choosing her response. Though she wouldn't mind someone being there with her.  She couldn't ask for Anthony to waste his dinner hour for her.  Say yes.  The voice came again.  Melanie let out a small gasp. Dropping the phone as she covered her ears to block out her thoughts.  "Please stop!"  She mumbled.  "Please let me think!"

"Melanie?"  Anthony's voice came at the other end of the receiver.  Hearing the sound of something crashing.  There was concern in his tone.  "Hey Mel!"  He called out again when there wasn't an answer the first time.  Hearing Anthony's frantic voice on the other end.  Melanie managed to regain composure, then picked up her phone.  "Yeah..  Yeah I'm here."  She answered in a quivering voice.

"You know what?  I'm on my way."  "No no..  You don't.."  Anthony cut off her sentence.  "Yes..  I do.  I'm ordering Taco Johns.  Does that sound okay?"  "Yes that's fine."  She muttered.  Once Anthony hung up, Melanie remained on the couch.  Pulling her knees up to her chest.  She closed her eyes, trying to rest until Anthony arrived.  I must be going crazy.

What seemed like forever to Mel, a knock at the door finally came.  Which meant Anthony was there.  In one quick motion, Melanie was off the couch and opened the door.  "Woah, hey.. What's wrong"  Anthony asked.  He could sense something off as soon as Melanie opened the door.  And for some reason, felt protective of her.  He wanted to step forward and hug her but stopped himself.  He wasn't sure how Melanie would take that gesture.

For the most part, Melanie tried remaining strong.  Because she didn't want to appear weak in front of anyone.  Nor did she want to worry Vic and Levi.  They already stressed enough over her. And until the dream this evening.  Melanie thought she was doing fine.  But when she saw Anthony.  And could hear concern.  She finally caved in, and could no longer hold it in.  She could feel the tears starting to stream down her face.  In a matter of seconds, Anthony was next to her.

Melanie rested her head as his arms slipped around her.  "I got you."  He muttered.  Melanie slipped her arms around Anthony.  And the two remained there for some time.  When Melanie felt she was more calm.  She pulled back, feeling a little embarrassed Anthony saw her this way. "S..  Sorry.."  She finally mumbled.  Anthony kept his watch.  Concern remained in his eyes. "There's no need to apologize.  Uh..  I have our food."  He said, holding up the bag.  Not sure what else to say.

"Would you like to talk about it?"  Anthony asked while they sat at the table and started eating. Melanie remained quiet giving a shake of her head for a response.  "I'll be fine.  I'm sorry..  You didn't have to come and waste your dinner hour."  "Yes I did.  I wanted to come check on you. And..  It's not wasted."  Anthony responded.

Melanie couldn't help but smile at the answer.  "How is work going?"  "Not bad.  Though it is much slower with Levi gone."  Melanie chuckled a little.  "The house is rather quiet with them gone.  I thought I'd enjoy the silence.  I didn't realize how much I've gotten used to being around them."  Anthony let out a small laugh.  "They're the kind of people who you can't live with but can't live without?"  Anthony questioned teasingly.

Melanie laughed.  She was feeling better with Anthony here.  And wished he wouldn't have to go back to work.  "Something like that."  Melanie smirked.  Anthony cleared his throat when a few moments of silence passed by.  "How long are they out of town?"  "Victoria told me she was able to take off the week."  Melanie raised a curious eye.  "Why?"

Anthony ran a hand through his hair.  Now it was his turn to feel nervous.  "Have you given any thought about the date?"  Melanie grew quiet while arguing over her response.  Saying yes to the date, would mean she was telling Anthony she was interested.  And Melanie wasn't sure.  She needed more time.  Quit lying to yourself.  You're interested.  Melanie also hoped to have advantage to some of that alone time with Levi and Vic gone.  But because of what happened right before Anthony came.  It was probably a good idea she wasn't completely alone.

"I..  I don't know.  I know Levi told you there's been some issues these last few months?  I'm still dealing with those.  And..  I need to get those sorted out first."  Anthony raised an eye.  He wasn't surprised at the response.  It was what he expected.  "I tell you what.  How about a little deal?" Melanie bit her lip.  "The last time I accepted one of your deals.  I had to go out on a date with you."  She smirked.  Though there was a hint of teasing in her voice.

Anthony laughed, giving Mel a small wink.  "Exactly."  Melanie rolled her eyes.  "Hear me out. One date.  Then if you don't like it.  I won't bother you again.  Deal?"  Melanie bit her lip, watching him extend a hand towards her.  Though she was a little hesitant.  Melanie reached her hand out.  Accepting the handshake and offer.  "Deal.."