Chapter 24: Under the Weather

Three days had passed since the incident at work. For the time being, Rachel had pointed out it was best that Melanie didn't return, and took some time off. Which Melanie had somewhat willingly chosen to agree with. Though she didn't want to.  Melanie had been lounging around in bed most of the last few days, not feeling all that motivated to do anything, not to mention, the hours and the stress of everything appeared to be catching up with her, and she could feel herself starting to get more tired than normal.

It seemed that Victoria and Levi were taking turns on having days off, and today was Levi's turn to be home. He glanced at the clock noticing the house still seemed pretty quiet, and decided to go check on Melanie. He slowly opened the door to see she still appeared to be fast asleep. He narrowed his eyes a bit as he watched monetarily, debating if he should make an attempt to wake her or just leave her sleep. He had heard about what had happened from Victoria. He had noticed a few of the changes in Melanie too, and was becoming quite concerned about her.  But he hadn't asked, knowing that Victoria was watching her closely.

Deciding it was best to leave her be since she had been having trouble sleeping, Levi closed the door quietly and headed into the living room to watch tv. A few hours later, Melanie stepped out of the room, making her way to the couch and sitting next to Levi. He looked over at her giving her a smile. "Hey, how are you?" He asked. He wasn't trying to pry and ask her how she was since the incident. He was just trying to ask her how she was in the moment.

"I'm just.. Still feeling a bit tired is all. I don't get it." She shook her head. "I should be caught up.  I feel like all I've been doing the past few days since I've been off work is sleep." Levi glanced at her. "I am sure it's fine." He gently placed his hand on her arm. "You shouldn't try to dwell on it too much. It happens when a person works all of those hours. You perhaps have been feeling a bit stressed. But now that you are here and have some time off to relax, I am sure that you will be fine once you've managed to get caught up on sleep." Melanie smiled a little. "Perhaps you are right." She grew quiet a moment, before continuing to say what she wanted to say next.

"Thank you.  For everything you and Victoria have done to help me."  Levi kept his watch on her a bit surprised at her words. He had never heard her thank them since she had come to live with them. At times it felt like she seemed more annoyed at them, being by her side twenty four seven to help. But that was why Victoria had suggested Melanie moved in with them. So they could help her when needed, and so Melanie didn't feel so alone. But he supposed he didn't blame her. They could be a bit too much at times. Specifically Victoria. But it was something they couldn't help. They were used to worrying about people they cared for. "I never really have thanked you.  At least not enough.  And I should have.  And I think.. I think it is time that I should try and start moving on." Levi looked at her confused. "What do you mean?" 

She took a deep breath. "I have thought about this for awhile. And I think the best thing for me to do is move, start someplace over. This place has too many memories.  I can't do it.  I can't stay here without him.  Everything here makes me remind things of him. Things we did.  Places we went to. The only way I can forget about him, is if I go somewhere else." Levi gave her hand a small squeeze. "I can get where you would want to move houses. But Melanie, you don't have to move to a whole new place and start over completely. You have friends here. Victoria and I. And a few of your coworkers."  He wanted to mention Anthony to remind her of him, but he didn't think it was a good idea.  "You shouldn't try to forget him. Paul wouldn't want that." She sighed. "I know.  And I will miss both of you.  I promise I will come visit." Melanie took a deep breath hearing his words. "I know that he wouldn't. I don't want to forget him. It's just.. Moving would make things easier for now. Maybe.. When I know I can handle it.  Perhaps I will consider moving back here." He nodded. "I can't get you to change your mind. But please try to at least reconsider it. Things will be okay again in time. Besides, the difficult times is when people usually prefer to be with those they love the most. To help them through the rough times." Melanie was ready to say something when Levi's phone went off. He bit his lip. It was work calling. "I have to go. They need back up. Tell Victoria I will be back as soon as I can. Perhaps.  We can pick this conversation up later when I get home?" Melanie nodded watching as he stood up off the couch to go grab his keys, getting ready quickly then exited the house to head to work.

Once Levi left, Melanie laid down on the couch, suddenly starting to not feel very well again.  She closed her eyes to take a nap, hoping that she would feel better when she woke up. Melanie began to stir awake three hours later, still not feeling the best. As if she could get sick soon, so she quickly began to make her way to the restroom getting there just in time. As she wandered from the living room to the restroom, she made a quick glance around to see that Victoria and Levi were still gone. Which she was glad for, because she was sure she'd only be worrying them if they saw her in this condition. Once she was sure she was going to be okay, she grabbed a pail for later use, and put it by her bedside, then let herself flop onto the bed once she made her way into the room, closing her eyes to drift back off to sleep.

"You should try and eat something." It had been another three days again since Melanie's incident. She had been lucky the first time with nobody being home. But the last two days, Victoria had been with her, so she could no longer hide it.  "You've not been able to eat anything the last two days." Victoria bit her lip watching Melanie closely. She had gone to her room to check on her. Seeing Melanie still laying curled up in her bed, the pail was still placed beside her bed in case she wasn't able to reach the restroom on time. Melanie shook her head. "I'm.. I'm not that hungry. I, I just want to sleep. Besides, I can't even keep anything down." She muttered. "Maybe if you ate something you'd get some energy back." Victoria suggested. Melanie sighed and sat up even though she didn't have much energy to do even that, but she knew that if she didn't try something, Victoria would most likely force her. She wouldn't leave her alone until she did.

"Alright, I will try a piece of toast." Victoria nodded looking more satisfied that Melanie was at least willing to try.  "I will go and make some." Melanie leaned her head back against the headboard of the bed and closed her eyes. All she wanted to do was remain asleep. She opened her eyes not long after as she felt Victoria shake her awake. Melanie forgot momentarily that Victoria had gone to get her some food, as she had managed to finally fall asleep and be out cold, just within those few minutes of Victoria being out in the kitchen getting her food. Melanie gave Victoria a small glare. Victoria cleared her throat, noticing the look Melanie gave her. "I.. Was just letting you know your toast is done." Melanie nodded and took the plate from her. "Thanks."

Melanie took the piece of toast from the plate but as soon as she lifted it up to her mouth to eat, the smell made her feel like she could be sick, and a short wave of nausea suddenly came over her. She quickly set the plate down on the nightstand and reached for the bucket that was sitting beside her bed. Victoria scrunched up her nose and looked a way for the time being as she heard Melanie start to vomit.

When Melanie had finished, Victoria looked back at her friend. Slightly stepping forward and reaching her hand to rest on Melanie's forehead to check her temp. Melanie's skin felt fairly warm and Victoria could see that her friend's face looked flushed. "That's it.  We should get you to the doctor's." Victoria said.

Melanie shook her head. "N.. No! I can't! I won't go there! I don't want to! Like I said. I just need to catch up on sleep." She mumbled. Victoria sighed at Melanie's stubbornness. "Mel.. This isn't normal!  You've been quite sick for the past few days, you haven't been able to eat anything."  Melanie shook her head again. "It's just a regular flu." Victoria glared at her. "I'm not going to risk it. I am going to make the appointment and drag you there whether you want to or not. I don't want to take a chance of losing another one of my friend's!" Victoria didn't think it was that serious. She hadn't meant to let those words slip out. But she couldn't help it. Melanie glanced at her biting her lip, knowing when she said friend, Victoria meant Paul.

She nodded. "I.. I know you don't.  Alright, you can make the appointment."  She said, wanting to make the appointment only so she could prove to Victoria she didn't have to worry so much about her. Melanie of course knew what was wrong with her. Audrey had told her. But she didn't want Victoria knowing just quite yet. She wasn't sure how Victoria would take the news, all things considered. Victoria sighed, glad that Melanie had agreed, and exited the room to call the doctors to schedule for an appointment.