Chapter 3: The Volleyball

Ashley

Today, I decided to do something with my life for once. Kian following me yesterday really did brighten up my night, leaving me in such a good mood overnight all the way until this morning when I popped out of bed.

"Hey, doll." Mom greeted me as I walked downstairs, a smile on my face and a beach bag slung over my shoulder.

I returned the bright attitude that she gave me, "Hey, mommy."

I very rarely referred to my mother as "mommy," when I did, it meant I was in a great mood.

"Care for some pancakes?" she offered, holding up a pink dinner plate that she had out, one single pancake right in the middle.

I nodded, signaling my mom to put down the pancake in front of me and sliding a small glass bottle of maple syrup towards me.

"What are you up to today, sweetheart?"

I swallowed my bite of fluffy breakfast and told her my plans, "I was thinking of going to the beach, getting some sun."

Mom smiled brightly, "That's good to hear."

I knew it made Mom happy when I was happy, she was not blind to the fact that her making me move made my life a living hell.

"How are you going to get there?" she asked, leaning on the other side of the island at which I was sitting and eating a pancake herself.

I shrugged; I hadn't really considered how I was going to get there, I figured I would just walk.

"Here." Mom cooed, sliding me a set of keys to her car across the counter.

I looked up at her, smiled, then thanked her warmly. I had almost forgot that, just before I moved out of Massachusetts, I finally earned my driver's license. I'm seventeen years old and I will be a Senior in high school in just one short month, I can't be more excited to be over and done with high school, especially now that I'm going to have to walk into this school knowing no one but myself.

I laid out the polka dotted beach blanket that Morgan had bought me before I left Massachusetts as a "going away and getting my beach on" present, then I sat down on it just after pulling off my cover up dress and revealing my ghost white skin to the entire beach. The beach I had found just a short drive down the road from my home, it was hardly crowded, actually it was pretty quiet, but most of the people here were about my age. I laid down peacefully on my soft blanket, my stomach and body exposed to the beautiful warmth of the sun.

"Hey! Watch out!" I heard a voice call.

I opened one eye, sat up slowly, and then felt a hard bump on the top of my head. Ouch.

"Oh my God." The same voice said nervously.

Another voice said, "Look what you fucking did."

I opened both eyes and looked to my left, a white volleyball sitting beside my towel. I sat up the rest of the way, crossed my legs and grabbed the ball with one hand, holding it until the owners came and retrieved it.

"I'm so sorry," A guy with beautifully tan skin and messy brown hair contained under an Obey snapback said, kneeling down to my level, "Are you alright?"

I rubbed my head softly where I was hit, shoving the ball that I was holding towards the guy, "I am fine."

"Are you sure?" he said, reaching down towards my head until I smacked his hand away.

I nodded slowly. I guess I should have never left the house, at least when I'm in bed on Tumblr I don't get smacked with volleyballs.

Another girl came up beside him, she was thin and looked way too peppy for my liking, "Oh my God, is this who you hit?"

I sighed, putting up a hand and telling both of them, "I'm fine, alright?"

"Good," the girl said, but even after I laid down trying to catch the sun, the two of them did not leave, "What's your name?"

I sighed, reluctantly telling her, "Ashley."

"I'm Kassie," she told me, despite the fact that I did not ask, "This is Jack."

I nodded, trying to show them that I am hardly interested and I am not here to make friends.

"Come on, Kass," Jack said, "She wants to be alone."

I smiled at him, good thing someone finally caught on. He smiled back. Now that I notice, Jack is kind of cute.

"Wait," I said as the two of them began to get up, "Sorry, I'm being a bitch to you guys."

Kassie smiled at me, "Are you new? I haven't seen you around."

"Fairly."

"Are you a partier?" Kassie asked, sitting herself down onto the sand next to my towel.

I shrugged, "Not exactly."

"There's a party tonight on this beach," Jack chimed in, "You should come with us, should be fun."

I smiled; I can't remember the last time I was invited or went to any sort of party. I was not popular back home, nor was I the nerdy type. However, all of the kids in Massachusetts are extreme partiers, all about the weed and alcohol, and I'm just not into that stuff the way that they all are.

"Yeah!" Kassie said excitedly, "You could come over, get ready with me, we can drive over together!"

I smiled at the thought of actually having a new friend, so I agreed to go over Kassie's house and go with her and Jack to the party.