Abuse in Fanfiction

#trigger warning: If you have been a victim of abuse, I advise you skip this chapter.

Listen, people:

IT IS NOT OKAY FOR PARENTS TO ABUSE THEIR KIDS.

I'm pretty sure you all know this, so WHY THE HELL DO YOU WRITE FANFICTIONS ABOUT IT?!

Maybe one or two would be fine, but everywhere I look I see fanfics about teenage girls who grew up with abusive parents and cut all the time. It's very rare I find a book without these traits.

THIS IS NOT OKAY.

Glamorizing self-harm, abuse, and other things is seriously not good, not to mention cliche as hell.

Even though I've never experienced these things firsthand, it still angers me to no end to see the sheer number of "oh, my drunkard father abused me so I got sent to an orphanage and was adopted by Team Crafted" bullshit.

I've lead a pretty sheltered life. My dad is awesome and loves me, my mother kicks ass and loves me too, my school is not filled with bitches, and I have no reason to harm myself in any way.

But please, stop writing this for the people who aren't like me. The people with actual abusive parents. The people with schools whose hallways are flooded with bitches. The people who hurt themselves because they think they aren't worthy, or that nobody needs them.

It's not cool.

It's not funny.

And it certainly does not make for a good plot twist.

/Yes, I know I did this at one point. I sincerely apologize to anyone I offended with some of my earlier works./