_2_

Jisung and Taeyong were seated at the dinner table the next night. Jisung was scrolling through social media on his phone to pass time. Their father had settled himself back in his room and began to read a book. No doubt, he'll be asleep soon. Taeyong sat there, counting the ticking off the clock. After two minutes. A heavy sign left him.

   "Hey, Ji?" Taeyong broke the stiff atmosphere.

   "Hm?"

   "I forgot to get the mail earlier. Would you mind getting it?"

   Jisung forced air out of his mouth in an annoyed way. He dropped his phone on the table and walked out the door. Taeyong got up to look out the window. An orangey glow was cast against the landscape from the setting sun. As Jisung continued down their driveway, Taeyong quietly locked the front door, leaving the premises.

   "Make connections," Jisung mocked in a whisper. "It'll help you out in the future." His voice suddenly started to get louder. "I'm fine on my own, hyung. Stop treating me like a child. I know you want me to be the best I can, but not everyone can be as great as you!"

   Jisung went around the line of trees at the end of their drive, stepping around a puddle, to reach the mailbox. He stopped in his tracks to see someone standing there. It was Akina.

   They stood there for a couple seconds, both feeling fairly awkward from randomly bumping into each other. Jisung noticed Alina's eyes travel to his feet as she pulled out an earbud. Jisung quickly looked down to see no shoes, just his blue, fuzzy socks. He looked back to Akina with wide eyes, heating up with embarrassment.

   "I-uh-I just... I came out to--" Jisung stopped to recollect himself. Akina cocked her head, patiently waiting for him to continue.

   "I came to get the mail." Jisung reached for the door to retrieve the post.

   "Um, Jisung. It's--"

   When the door to the box was pulled open, his expression completely fell when it was discovered to be empty. Jisung swallowed, glancing back at Akina.

   "Jisung, it's Sunday."

   Jisung's heart pumped.

   "There's no post."

   Humiliation flooded Jisung as he closed the small door. He slowly exhaled; cheeks burning as he gritted his teeth together.

   "Of course, it is," he muttered under his breath. Jisung closed his eyes and lightly hit his on the top of the mailbox. He soon straightened himself, looked at Akina, and smiled. "Have a good evening," he said, with a slight bow. Jisung turned around, accidentally slamming his foot down into the puddle he very cautiously ignored a minute ago.
Jisung puffed out his cheeks, squeezing his eyes closed. "Aish!" He jumped back, throwing his water-filled sock off. He heard Alina's footsteps come up right beside him.

"Do you need any help getting back to the front door?" She asked him, amusement sparkling in her eyes.

Jisung rubbed his face. He shook off, placing back a cheesy smile on his face. "No, I'm perfectly fine." He gave a small wave. "See you around, Akina."

"Bye, Jisung." Akina waved back in an unsure way.

Jisung waited for Akina to continue before turning and running up to the door. He threw himself against it, expecting the handle to push down so he could hide himself from his embarrassment. However, the door didn't budge.

"Jinjja?" Jisung whined, looking up and down the door. "You have to be kidding."

Jisung rested his head against the door, feeling defeated.

"Yah! Jisung!" He heard someone call to him.

Jisung picked up himself and turned towards the source. Akina had her arms crossed. The situation seemed to entertain her.

"If you don't mind walking around half barefoot, half with a socks you should follow me."

Jisung felt taken aback by her offer. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out.

Akina cracked a smile. A real one. "If you want to decline, it won't be the end of the world, you know?"

Jisung didn't answer. He just paced down the short driveway to Akina. He gave her a nod when he reached the end.

Akina let her arms drop, turning to walk off. "Jisung, you shouldn't let people see this side of you. You might give them the idea that you're soft."

Jisung ran the words trough his head, legs stiff. He then popped back into reality, pushing off after her. "What's that suppose to mean?"