Part 27

Both of the horses are evenly matched and so they race along the road neck and neck.

“Goo on girl,” coos Samuel, exulting in the speed of the animal beneath him, so different from the nag he had left at the schloss.

As they both go round a bend in the road they come upon a group of cavalry searching for either them or Eddie.

“Whoa!” cries Jimmy, but they are both too late and collide with the mounted soldiers.

“Bist du dumm?” says the unteroffizier in charge.

“Ja,” replies Samuel knowing it to be yes.

“Haben Sie irgendwelche Engländer gesehen?”

“Ja,” says Samuel again as both he and Jimmy ease their way past the soldiers.

“Wo hast du sie sehen?”

“Ja,” calls Samuel as both he and the cracksman gee their horses on down the road.

“Aufhalten,” screams the sergeant as he and the others give chase.

The woods are dark and Milo only has a general idea of where they are. He carries on in an easterly direction. “I think we have gone far enough now,” he tells the others, “we need to get back to the road.”

After about 10 minutes they can see the road ahead of them. Stepping out onto it May remarks, “This looks like the same road.”

“And we seem to have got around the border post.”