41. Maybe I Do

"Are you okay mom?" I ask tentatively.

"Yeah I'm fine," she says, wiping away a tear.

"Are you sure?" I question.

"Yeah, go hang out with your friends, and take Lucas with you," she says.

"Okay," I reply.

She walks out as I tell Lucas to go change. He runs away, giggling while thinking that we're going to get ice cream for no reason. What will happen when he realizes what happened? I shrug off my worries as I close my door and start changing.

As I stand in front of my vanity, tying a high ponytail, Jonah asks from his room, "Where are you going?"

"I don't know. My mom said to hang out with my friends and bring Lucas," I shout back.

"Okay, I'll come too," he says before turning around.

"I'll see you downstairs," I reply, walking out of my room.

"I'm ready Bambi!" Lucas calls from the bottom of the stairs.

"One second!" I shout back before running down.

He smiles there with a big smile on his face, rocking back and forth on his heels. His innocence makes me jealous. I wish I didn't know what was happening. I wish I didn't feel this body of rage threatening to strangle me. I wish I didn't feel soul crushing sadness. I wish I didn't feel betrayed.

"Put on your shoes bubba, we're going with Jonah," I say.

"Okay," he chirps.

We walk out of the house, hand in hand. I pull him over to Jonah's car and we wait for a couple of seconds until Jonah rushes out of his house.

"Wanna do to Daniel's place?" He asks.

"Yeah sure," I say with a small smile while ushering Lucas into the car.

He enters the driver's seat while I slide in next to him. After checking that Lucas was alright, I turn back around to face the front.

"Wait how do you know where Daniel's house is?" I ask. "Were you guys friends before?"

"Jack needed a ride and had to drop something off at Daniel's place once," he says.

"Oh okay," I say, ending the conversation.

He reaches forward to put the radio on.

"I won't be, no I won't be like you. Fighting back, I'm fighting back the truth." DNA by Lia Marie Johnson plays.

I choke back a sob as I change the song.

"Sorry," he says, the regret clear in his voice.

"It's fine. It wasn't your fault, it was his," I say with a sad smile.

"You don't deserve this," he says firmly.

"Maybe I do," I say sadly.