XVI, EPILOGUE

ROMILDA YVES NEVER GOT HER DRIVER'S LICENSE, or drank at a party

ROMILDA YVES NEVER GOT HER DRIVER'S LICENSE, or drank at a party. She did get the chance to dress as Ziggy Stardust for halloween, but never watched a PG-18 or smoked a pack of cigarettes. She never had a job and earned her first paycheck, and had never recovered from her BPD. She never even had a proper boyfriend (herself and Stan barely spoke after that summer, only merely trading notes on old gum wrappers in science class and then that time when they'd kissed in a supply closet and then been caught by the janitor).

She hadn't wanted to die a virgin, but she did.

HEADLINES JULY 27TH, 1991: NIGHTMARE COLLISION IN NEVADA KILLS THREE AND LEAVES SEVEN GRAVELY WOUNDED IN TRAGIC ACCIDENT ON ROUTE 95. WORD HAS YET TO BE RELEASED, BUT OF THE DEAD, ONE VICTIM HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED AS SIXTEEN-YEAR-OLD HIGHSCHOOL STUDENT, ROMILDA YVES.

The lives of the Yves family had become a downhill spiral, especially in summer '91. Meg had begun having to steal medicine to look after her sick husband and niece, and eventually resorted to drugs — not for the recreation, but for the money. Romy transferred schools three times over and never saw her friends again, not even the likes of Cindy, who managed to date Beverly Marsh for two months when they turned seventeen.

Her death probably would have gone unheard of, if not for the fact that Eddie Kapsbrak and some of the other losers set up a small memorial of yellow ribbons and tealight candles for their deceased friend in front of the old Yves household, much to the dismay of the new residents.

Richie, though he was then older, reaching fifteen at the time (and had been dating Monica Bell for two weeks now, wowee!), still had often sought pride in scaring off every new client as to leave the house vacant. It had always been creepy, even to Romy herself, every neighbourhood had that kind of place that the children would fear, and after then, it was not Neilbolt, but the Ivy House, haunted by a sick man and a sick girl and a sickened woman.