♥Secret(HIStory Era)♥

"I still don't understand why we have to go see your family...again," you say sharply as you sit on the bed with folded arms.

Michael, your loving husband of eight years, sighs in frustration at your attitude.

"Why are you hesitant?" he frowns as he sets his hands on his hips, facing you. "You're always kicking up a fuss whenever it comes to my family,"

"I'm not kicking up a fuss," you sigh, rolling your eyes. "I'm just.........I don't want to go," you shrug. "Besides, if it's any consolation....I don't like a lot of things," 

"(Y/N)," he sighs again, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Why are you always like this?" he huffs.

"I'm not like anything," you shake your head.

"You're not setting a good example for Ameerah," he groans, referring to your seven year old daughter. "She can't keep seeing you like this,"

"Seeing me like what?" you scoff. "What are you on about?" 

"(Y/N)," he shakes his head. "Listen, I'll be downstairs. Ameerah and I will be waiting......" he trails off, making his way out of the room. "Try not to be late,"

You sigh as your eyes tear up, watching intently as your husband exits the room. 

For the past four years, you'd been acting very cold and stubborn with your husband - even more so...with his family. Don't get the wrong idea, you weren't a mean person by nature- however, a very personal experience of yours when you were much younger resulted in such a bitter attitude. This particular event in your life had been one that you never spoke of - even to Michael.

The only person you'd ever mentioned it to was Janet.

Following the event, you'd suppressed your hurt and loneliness, concealing these emotions where you were almost sure it would not resurface. 

However, four years after your marriage - the negativity had begun to manifest physically.

You were so much more bitter and unwilling than you'd ever been before.

Now; you, Michael and Ameerah were going to visit his family for lunch. Well technically - they'd become your family as well ever since you'd married Michael. This sort of outing was an annual occasion and Michael as well as Ameerah, always looked forward to it.

You, on the other hand - not with as much enthusiasm.

"Oh well..." you sigh to yourself as you wipe away the few tears that had made their way down your face. "What other choice do I have?" you whisper, getting up and straightening out your dress as you make your way out of the room and downstairs.

"And it's going to be so much fun," you hear Michael say softly to Ameerah as he tickles her lightly. Your eyes move to the sofa and you spot Ameerah perched on Michael's lap. 

"Really?" Ameerah giggles and Michael nods.

"Yes," he smiles widely and you clear your throat slightly - gaining their attention.

"Ah," Michael's smile falls slightly as he sees that you'd been crying. Obviously, he chooses not to address the matter in front Ameerah. "Shall we go?"

You nod quickly and Michael stands up, lifting Ameerah in his arms. You follow Michael as he walks out toward the car, carrying Ameerah all the while. 

He gets to the car and sets Ameerah down in the backseat, closing the door gently as his eyes meet yours for a moment. You get into the front passenger seat of the car just as Michael gets into the driver's seat.