[3]REAL LIFE

THE MYSTERIOUS ROOMMATE STIRRED in her sleep as Lorelei continued unpacking her suitcase and sticking up drawings.

"Kaya!" a man's voice startled Lorie enough to drop her sketchbook.

The girl turned around to see a bald middle aged man with a huge box in his arms. She smiled, a little puzzled for a moment, but then realised that Kaya was probably her roommates name and this was her dad.

"Oh, hi," the man said, setting down his box.

Kaya has sat up in her bed and was rubbing her eyes tiredly.

"You must be Kaya's dorm mate," he grinned, holding his hand out for her to shake, which she did, smiling. "I'm her father, Joel."

"Hey, I'm Lorie," the brunette replied, bending down to pick up her sketchbook.

"I take it you met Kaya? Before she fell asleep," Joel asked.

"No, actually, I thought I shouldn't wake her."

"Well, I'll go get the rest of the boxes," the man announced. "You two can get to know each other."

Once he had left, Kaya grinned. She was very pretty, with dark frizzy hair and deep brown eyes. When she stood up, the girl wasn't quite as tall as Lorie, who was 5'8, which made the girl a bit jealous. Lorelei wished she was shorter.

"Hey," Kaya said, going over to open up a box.

"Hi."

"Are your parents here?" Kaya asked, pulling out some clothes and putting them away in the closet.

"No, they couldn't make it," Lorie sighed a little, going over to her suitcase, pulling out her blanket and wrapping it around herself. "It's a long way for them to come."

"Where are you from?"

"West Covina," Lorie answered. "What about you?"

"Brooklyn," Kaya told her.

"You're a New Yorker? That's so cool," the brunette sighed happily, she absolutely loved New York.

"I wanted to go to NYU, but Yale is a dream come true."

"I didn't even want to go to uni," Lorie laughed. "I guess this place is a dream come true, but more for my mother than me."

"I know the feeling," Kaya snickered. "What are you most exited for?"

"So many things!" Lorelei said, the excitement suddenly hitting her with a strong force. "I'm going to do everything you're supposed to do in college."

"I'm gonna shave my head," Kaya told her. "Don't tell my dad, he'd get so mad."

"Ok, I won't," the blonde replied, she'd decided she really liked Kaya. "But I love you hair!"

"I just want to experiment," the girl said, hanging a mirror up above her bed. "Plus, afro hair is so hard to look after, I just want it gone!"

"Well, I'm sure you'll look amazing," Lorie grinned.

"Thanks, what's your major?" Kaya asked, returning the smile.

"Photography," Lorelei said, feeling a little proud.

"Oh, amazing!" The girl gasped. "Mines Women's Studies"

"Amazing! Are you a feminist then?"

"Of course!"

"Me too!" Lorie was liking Kaya more and more by the second.

"D'you want to go meet some more people? There's a society fair on right now," the girl said, throwing a sweater over her baggy polo jeans top. "My dad's really annoying me so we should probably go now."