[22]LUCAS' POV

WHEN A SOLDIER SEES HIS FATHER CRY, it's the moment he realises that his dad is human too, and not a strong man who never shows emotion. That was exactly how it felt seeing Lorelei Jacobs cry. She had a pleading look on her face, and he knew exactly what it meant. Lorie was begging him not to say anything. Lucas was shocked, above anything. Lorie had yet again surprised him. She'd seemed like such a strong person, maybe too strong for her own good, she didn't seem like a person who cried at all, let alone this much crying. Maybe he didn't know her at all.

Lucas got over the initial shock in about thirty seconds, and now all that was left was sympathy. Not knowing what to do, the boy hugged her tightly. At first she resisted him, but after a second she hugged him back, crying into his shoulder. They stayed like that for about three minutes, before Lorie pulled away and took a large puff of her cigarette, which was having trouble staying alight in the rain. Inside, a speaker squealed and music turned on, followed by a chorus of cheers.

"Why are you crying, Lorie?" Lucas asked quietly after a minute.

The girl looked down at her feet for a moment and then up at Lucas.

"My parents," she said, her piercing blue eyes boring into his skull. "They're splitting up. My brother called me earlier and told me because neither of them had the balls to tell me themselves."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Lucas told her.

"No you're not," she spoke quietly, stamping her cigarette on the ground and looking away.

"Yeah, I am," he said firmly.

"You don't know my parents, so how could you be sorry?"

"I'm sorry that you're upset, that's all."

Lorie turned back to him, her eyes red and puffy from the crying.

"Thanks," she said, and he could tell she meant it. "I'm not used to the rain," she said a minute later. "It keeps putting out my fucking cigarettes."

"Do you want to go somewhere?" Lucas suggested. "Talk where it's not raining."

Lorie nodded.

***

"I guess I always knew my mum wasn't happy," Lorie told Lucas once they were sheltered.

The search for a place to talk had lead them to an empty fire escape on the side of an apartment block. The pair were both leaning over the edge and looking down at the road below as she spoke.

"Me and my brother were both IVFs, she had two miscarriages before us," Lorie kept talking. "I found her crying in her room alone a few times, looking at a little photo. I never asked her why, because I knew she'd never say."

Lucas knew Lorie well enough to know that he shouldn't say anything, or at least until he'd worked out what she needed to hear.

"My dad once told me their marriage might as well have been arranged," she scoffed. "I just can't believe it's over."

"The worst part is that I found out they filed for divorce in September," she said angrily. "They were waiting until I left home."

"She had an affair," Lorie said quietly.

"With someone you know?" Lucas asked.

"His best friend," she said quietly. "My mum fucked my dad's best friend."

"That makes you angry," Lucas stated, but felt a little therapisty and stupid so he looked down.

"Yeah, I suppose it does," she said. "Because now my dad's lost his wife and his best friend. It's so messy, and it's all my fault."

A tear tumbled down Lorie's cheek.

"Hold on, how is it your fault?" Lucas asked, holding her arm and turning her to face him.

Her hair had gone wavy from the rain and she'd let it down from her ponytail so it was hanging down to just above her elbows.

"Because if it weren't for me, my parents would've split when I was younger before she had an affair," Lorie told him. "I used to scream and shout when they fought, so they must've known it would be a bad idea to divorce then."

"Lorie, this is in no way your fault," Lucas said. "Don't feel guilty for your parents problems."

Lorie looked at him gratefully, but he could tell that she still blamed herself.

"Listen, you're like the most amazing person I've ever met," Lucas told her, with power in his voice. He wouldn't let her feel responsible. "If anything they waited because they care about you. Your parents love you, I'm sure of it. How could they not?"

Then she kissed him. It was a kiss that could save the world, a kiss that could convince unbelieving people that love exists, a kiss that could stop a war and a kiss that could break a heart. It was like ice on a hot day or a blanket on a cold one. And it was the moment that Lucas realised that this wasn't just some stupid crush he had on her. He loved Lorelei Jacobs. A lot.

When their lips parted, Lorie wasn't crying anymore.

"Thank you," she said quietly, and checked her phone. "I have to go."

And with that, she scampered off, leaving an extremely dumbfounded Lucas alone on a fire escape. His lips felt like they were on fire.

She'd kissed him, and then she'd run away. Somehow he wasn't sad, maybe their was hope for them after all. Even if she was way out of his league.

NOTE: I'm reading this back now after I changed her faceclaim to Kaya, and i just realised how much this chapter makes it look like I'm trying to copy Effy's storyline. i assure you, I have a really clear image of what I want Lorie to be like, and I came up with the affair thing on the spot. Sorry if you don't like it!!

qotd: are your parents divorced/seperated?
aotd: bItch yes