nine

"Yeah I totally agree with you." Colby nods as Theo talks about some sports team. I sigh and move my eyes to a small playground. Kids are laughing and running. I smile at them slightly. 

"Willow?" I snap my head over to Theo. 

"Yes?" I ask quietly. I didn't expect him to be this close to me. He takes notice of my nervous state and backs up some.  "Oh, I thought something was wrong. Just thought I'd ask."

I shake my head and take a sip of my coke. "I'm fine, Sports just aren't my thing." He smirks.

He then walks over to Bryce and smacks him on the back. "Chugging contest, loser buys the winner food!" Bryce grins triumphantly and shoots up. They both grab a bright red can out of the cooler and pop them open in unison. "Bet you'll like this one Willow." And with that Theo throws his head back.

Theo is almost as fast as Bryce but sadly he lost. I was secretly rooting for Bryce so Theo would be knocked down a few. "Whoooo! You're buying me lunch buddy!" Bryce shouts and raises his arms.

"Well it better be el cheapo because this dude is not rich." Theo points his thumbs at himself.    He tosses the can in the trash and plops down beside me. I smirk at him, he just frowns. His eyes light up then he leans in, "I would rather buy you lunch." I shiver at his voice.

"What's going on here?" I hear August speak up behind me. I jump up and wipe my suddenly clammy hands on my white jeans. "Oh Theo just lost a chugging contest." I stifle out a giggle.

August nods slowly and walks to the cooler. He pulls out a coke and takes a swig. I look at him for a second but turn away blushing. What is with me? He isn't even paying any attention to me. I look over at the playground and smile. I turn towards the bright blue contraption and jog over to it. I sit down in a swing and start swinging. I look over at the big oak tree that my friends are located. But only one pair of green eyes catch mine. August's. He gives me a confused look but walks over anyways. Just before I tear my eyes away, I notice Theo scowling a bit. I shake it off and pump my legs more.

"What are you doing?" He asks with a small smile. I lean my head back "I'm swinging."

"Well yeah I can see that." He sits on the cracked swing beside me. But he doesn't join me. 

"Are you okay?" I ask, slowing my pace a little. He lowers his head into his hands. I stop completely. "August?"

"I'm fine okay!" He snaps. I furrow my brows. "No you aren't." 

He looks at me, with a mad/sad look. "Fine, I'm not okay. But I'm not going to dump all my problems on you." 

"You can talk if you'd like, or don't. I'm not going to force you." I murmur. We sit in silence. It was a few minutes to be exact but it felt like hours. August looks at the dirt under his feet. Thinking probably. His expression was unreadable. I draw a heart with my foot, then a flower, then a star and so on. 

"My parents are getting a divorce." He mutters. I gasp a little and look over at him.

"A divorce, August I'm so sorry!" I take his hand in mine. He squeezes it for a split second but lets go and stands up. "I have to get going."

I nod and sigh "Okay, wait. You know you can call me anytime right?"

"Yeah." He then walks off to his black motorcycle.

                                                                                     ***

I paint my nails with a bright blue color. As Thea, paints her purple. We sit in the middle of my hardwood floor. Magazines are laid out around us, while a variety of snacks are scattered everywhere. I push pause on "Freaky Friday" and look over at my brunette best friend. 

"Thea?" She looks up at me. I wanted advice about August. But I needed to word this carefully. 

"Okay, so let's say one of your friend's family is having problems, and that friend decides to tell you this. How would you help that friend?" I wave my hand to dry the polish. She thinks it over.

"Well you could either give them space or the complete opposite. You could take them out to get their mind off of it. It depends on the person. And would I know this person?" She wiggles her eyebrows.

I shove her and go back to painting. Okay so August is very distant, to say the least. But he is also very social. Ugh! I am so confused. You know what! I'll just invite him out to a cool restaurant or something. If he declines then so what.

As the night continued on, many foods were eaten and many movies were watched. Around 1am, we finally fell asleep.

"A restaurant?" August questions over the phone. 

"Yes, I'll pay and everything. I think you need to just get out for a while, you know." I reply hopefully.

The line goes quiet. 

"That's exactly what I need right now." He finally speaks up. I do a little victory dance. I then tell him the details. We end the call and I get ready.

I slip on a knee-length blue dress, yes okay I like blue, and some white converse. I add a little bit of makeup and perfume. I grin at the mirror and race down the carpeted stairs. Just as I open the screen door, someone stops me. "Where are you going all dressed up?"

"I'm going to Luis's, the little Italian place downtown?" I huff at my brother. I was ready to go. 

"With who?" He taps his foot.

"Me, myself and I." 

"Dressed like that?" I swear he is interviewing me.

"Yes! Can't a girl dress up once and a while for no reason?" I throw my hands up dramatically. 

He rolls his eyes and quits his stupid "big brother questions his little sister every time she leaves" act.

I then hop in my truck and drive to the restaurant. 

                                                                                                  ***

salve! (hello in Latin)

QOTC: Do you have an older sibling like Julian?

*Sorry for the long wait for an update, I have been super busy with school! I promise I will try my best to update more often*

VOTE AND COMMENT!

-Ava