Chapter 31

From the outside, Stenton Estate looked just as it ever did, impressive and regal with its brick exterior and white detailing. A passerby would never guess at the commotion going on within. Teams of men and women filled the rooms and hallways of the estate, many carrying with them scanning equipment that would never pick up what they had been brought in to find. 

Kalen watched on from the top of the stairs, arms folded over his chest as he leaned against the banister. Through the night the search teams had scanned every inch of Stenton Estate, if there was anything to find they surely would have found it by now, but Rothgard had insisted the building continue being searched over and over on the off chance something had been missed. Early this morning he had announced to the council that the search would be expanded throughout the rest of the district in as discreet a way as possible, so as not alert the public. Kalen alone knew that even by searching the entirety of the Monith District, they would never find Piper. 

With such a small window of time to think of a way to get her away from Sovereign hands, Kalen had been forced to think fast. He had known he had to get her out of the estate first and foremost, and then out of the district entirely if possible. Unfortunately, anywhere he could possibly put her would leave her in danger of being found. The first thing that had come to mind was to take her deep into a forest where surely no one would ever find her, however upon second thought he had realized that a forest with no human presence would be overrun with all manner of creatures that would be enormous to the tiny human. And so Kalen came to the decision to choose something somewhere in the middle. A park wouldn't have nearly as many animals, and certainly less dangerous ones. While there would be people in the park, the grass would hopefully provide enough cover for someone of her size to avoid being seen. Of course it hadn't been an ideal option, but it had been the only one he had. 

However the more time that passed, the more uncertain of his decision Kalen had become. He had spent the previous night lying awake in bed, imagining all the trouble Piper could be getting into out in that park alone. He hated the fact that her well being seemed to be consuming so much of his mind. But he could no longer convince himself that he didn't care about her at all, were that true he would have just handed her over to Rothgard as he had been supposed to do. Whether he liked it or not, Kalen held some form of complicated feelings for Piper, feelings that were beginning to make him regret dropping her off in that park.

Kalen tiredly ran a hand down his face. Even ignoring the possibility that someone had already found her, it was almost certain that she would be getting hungry by now, unless by some miracle she had somehow managed to get herself something to eat. Had his options not been so limited he'd never have left her out there alone, she was far to small and vulnerable to be able to make it on her own in Amasis. If she wasn't already dead or captured, Kalen couldn't shake the feeling that she wouldn't be able to make it much longer. If she was to survive, he had to go get her.

~

Shortly after Piper and Celia's somber discussion, Devon had returned to the kitchen, bringing with him a plush little chair that had no doubt come from Celia's old doll set. 

"I imagine that hard counter top isn't particularly comfortable for your backside." He said with a lighthearted smile on his lip as he gently deposited the chair a few feet away from Piper. Appreciative of the gesture, as well as Devon's respecting of her rather large personal bubble, Piper softly thanked him.

Still she was fighting off the miserable emotions that had come with the realization that she may never have the means to return to Earth. She wanted to burst out in tears, curl up into a ball and sob for hours on end. Had she been alone, surely she would have. But she wouldn't let even these people who had shown her such a great amount of kindness see her in such a pathetic state.