41.

August

"Kai?" I questioned "Dats one of Izels friends."

"Oh - Well, that's not her friend."

"What you mean?" I frowned.

"That's the unknown person - Kai."

"We let ha in the house and everything - Dat makes sense." Travis said.

"And she got the code ta the gates." I looked at him.

"You get ha last name?"

"Kai Powers." He handed me my phone.

Powers.

I've heard dat last name somewhea' but I can't think of who's it is.

"I appreciate it man - But we gon get going so we can handle this." I gave him dap.

"No problem - Y'all niggas be good out there, and tell mama I said wassup."

"Aight."

We walked out and got in the car.

"I knew there was some up with that jit." I shook my head.

"She played ha cards smart though - Think about it. I done sold ta ha once, she befriends Izel, gets into the house - but what does she want and who is she working with?" Travis said.

"There's someone I know wit dat last name Powers.." I rubbed my chin.

I thought about the kids that I have in my classes and that's when it hit me - Marquez.

*

When we got back to the house, It was dead quiet. I know mama had a appointment today, but Zel usually somewhea' makin' a lot of noise. Ha ass can neva' stay quiet.

"Izel!" I shouted out.

I walked up ta ha room and saw ha wit ha headphones in. I took dem out so she could hea' what I had ta say.

"We figured out who been threatnin' you."

"Who?" She frowned.

"It's dat girl you hang wit - Kai. Ha brotha is Marquez too, so I'm thinkin' he put ha ass up ta this."

"Kai would never - You probably have it mixed up." She shook ha head.

"It's not mixed up Zel, and it makes perfect sense. The messages match up wit ha actions."

"Tuh! Whatever August." She rolled ha eyes.

"Wha'chu mean whateva? Izel I'm being deadass! I ain't got no reason ta lie on shorty like dat."

"I'll talk to her, and if she says none of it's true, then i'm completely cutting you off. - Besides, how do I know your not the one sending me threat messages?"

"You really buggin' the fuck out now. Why I gotta threaten you through text when I can say it ta yo face? What reason I got ta threaten you anyway? I'm tired of yo stubborn ass attitude every damn time I try ta help yo ass out."

"I never asked for your help." She frowned.

I shook my head and walked out ha room.

Ima rememba' dat next time she get in some mo' shit like this.

*
Izel

The next day at school, it was pretty awkward. I had woke up extra early so I could walk here, just so I wouldn't have to be in the car with August.

Kai was officially going to our school and I couldn't be any happier. She was in most of my classes, just not the one with me, Celeste, and Jasmine - Which is Chemistry.

"So, when are you and August going to put your differences aside and get back together?" Kai asked as we walked to first period.

"I gave you my answer on that." I rolled my eyes.

"Marquez is cute - Don't you have eyes for him?" She smirked.

"You call your brother cute?" I frowned.

Me and her talked earlier about the whole texting thing and she swore she had nothing to do with it, and I trusted her. She told me the story about her and Marquez - They aren't blood, they're related by marriage.

"He's barely my brother, but seriously - I can see y'all together." She smiled.

"He used me." I said low.

"Okay, I totally forgot about that. I'm sorry."

"It's fine." I gave her a small smile.

We walked into class and took our seats way in the back so we wouldn't be close to people we don't like.

"Wow, he's so quiet." Kai said, referring to August.

"He's been that way. I think I give him too much attitude so that's why he doesn't speak to me." I shrugged.

"God, you're so bad at this relationship thing."

"I'm sorry, he's my first boyfriend."

"Awe, you said he's your boyfriend." She giggled.

I sat back and bit my lip. I had a habit of doing that when I went into deep thought about something - and that something was August.