chapter four

The Hospital Wingword count: 1728

The Hospital Wing
word count: 1728

Draco was sitting beside Arden in the hospital wing. He had no idea why he felt obligated to be by her side, but something in his gut told him that he should do so. Cedric was with her for few short moments before he quickly left to study for his N.E.W.Ts, mumbling to his unconcious sister that he hoped she understood -knowing Arden Diggory and her alarming amount of patience for anyone but a Malfoy, she most definitely did- before leaving. Harry hadn't shown up at all, neither did Hermione or Ron.

Harry felt stupid for throwing the glass in the direction of Arden, he was too blinded by his hatred for the blond to realise that his girlfriend was in pain next to him. Hermione and Ron were busy with prefect duties to check on Arden for Harry, making Harry feel even worse.

Draco sighed as he grew bored. Madame Pomfrey had sedated Arden so she could stitch up the cuts on her face, so he had no one to talk to -or taunt- while he was there. He looked down at Arden's school bag and raised an eyebrow, noticing multiple items that weren't at all school related. His nosey self came into play, and he began to snoop. He hoped to Merlin that Arden wouldn't wake up and catch him, he had no idea what she would do if she caught him.

He huffed as he realised he was wrong, the only non school related item in her bag was a book that he had never seen before. He pulled it out and raised an eyebrow as he read the cover.

"Frankenstein?" He muttered to himself. He read the back of the book, raising his eyebrows in interest before opening it up to page one.

"Going through my bag are you?" A soft voice spoke. Draco jumped in his seat, causing the book to fall from his hands and onto the floor. He glared at Arden, who flashed a tired smirk his way.

"Couldn't have warned me, Diggory?" He snapped.

Arden chuckled, "even If I were to say 'oh hey Malfoy, I'm awake," I still would have startled you," she teased.

"Fair point. I wasn't going through you bag though, this book just caught my eye..." Draco lied.

Arden rolled her eyes. She ignored her school books piled next to her bag, signalling that Draco did go through her bag. She would confront him, but she didn't have the energy to start a fight with him. Instead, she asked a more important question.

"Why are you here? I mean, you and I aren't exactly friends-"

Draco sighed, "I felt bad," he interrupted. "Your brother was here but he went off to study for his examinations. Your friends haven't come at all, so I kind of just had that gut feeling and as much as I didn't want to I came," he admitted, sounding slightly annoyed.

Draco glared at Arden as she noticed a smirk form on her face. "What, do you like me or something?" She joked.

"What? You're absolutely out of your mind!" Draco scoffed. Arden shrugged and leaned back in her bed, feeling a slight emptiness at Draco's reaction, although she wasn't sure why.