chapter nine

Snowword count: 3103

Snow
word count: 3103

Tears were fighting to roll down Arden's cheek as she increasingly grew more and more frustrated with herself. Harry's hand was delicately placed on hers, giving her instructions on how to cast a simple defence spell that everyone had already begun to master in the DA. Arden was never one to exert her anger, and her bottling it up would result in her becoming tired, to the point where she would cry from the frustration. She shut her eyes tight, then looked up at the ceiling to dry out her eyes so the tears wouldn't fall. Harry didn't notice as he kept his eyes ahead, trying to make sure Arden held onto her wand properly.

"Do you think you can do that?" Harry finished, looking at Arden with his eyebrows raised, waiting for an answer. He noticed her quivering lips and bloodshot eyes, telling him that she was far from ready to cast the spell. Everything between them had been tense since the fight on the Quidditch pitch; for sure he believed that she would leave him, but she still found it in her to forgive him much to Fred and Cedric's dismay. Harry almost felt as if he didn't deserve Arden and her forgiving nature, he felt as if she was far too kind for him and wasn't worth her kindness.

She brought her wand down and shook her head quickly. She began to put her wand away, but Harry stopped her.

"Arden, you need to stop being afraid-"

"I can't help it," Arden said weakly. "Every time I try, nothing happens. Either nothing happens, or I cause chaos." She looked at him with defeated eyes, begging him to not let her continue.

Harry sighed and wrapped his arms around her. She held onto him tightly, muffling her quiet sobs into his chest. Harry gently ran his fingers through her curls, and kissed her forehead as he pulled away from her. He wanted to help Arden with defence magic, as she was the most important thing to him, he wanted to make sure if she were in danger she could fight. Although, ever since he accidentally hit her on the Quidditch field, he had done everything he could to ensure she was happy with him, so he decided to let her go instead of continuing with the DA meeting where she would just continue to be miserable.

"Alright, go rest up. I'll see you at dinner," he sighed, gently squeezing her hand as she kissed his cheek goodbye. Once Arden had left the Room of Requirement, she took a deep sigh and quickly wiped her eyes, before running towards the staircase that would take her to the astronomy tower.

Running up the steps, she stopped at the top and sighed of relief when she saw the familiar head of blond hair leaning over the rails of the astronomy tower.

Draco had heard her fast paced footsteps, but didn't turn around as he didn't want her to think he was eager. Slowly, he turned around to look at her, and the first thing he noticed was her bloodshot eyes and small droplets hanging on the end of her eyelashes.