•WHATSERNAME•

"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt."

-Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse Five)

•H E R  POV•
•••
_______________________

"Lost?"

It was a simple word, but yet it threw me into a complete daze. I didn't talk to many people in Paradise; it was hard to know who to trust. They were everywhere. But this man had me throw every bit of caution I'd built up to the wind with a single word. What was it?

"No, I'm sorry." I excused myself. "Just lost in my thoughts; I forgot where I was for a moment." I couldn't look away from his eyes. They were beautiful, a bright green that contrasted perfectly with his jet black hair. I was embarrassed by my thoughts. He was just some man on the street, but never in my time living in Paradise City could I remember being this intrigued by another person.

He raised his eyebrows and gave a small smile. "And what thoughts would have gotten such a pretty girl so distracted?" His voice was rough but ran like silk. I couldn't help but wait for every word he spoke next. What was it?

"Just another day in Paradise." I smiled back.

He looked deep into my eyes for a moment, as if he were looking for something he couldn't find on the outside, before responding.
"A city that is anything but."

I felt the smile slowly leave my lips.

"What did you just say?" I said slowly.

"I said-" he took a step backwards, widening his arms in a grand gesture. "A city that is anything but!" He laughed out, circling around as his shadow danced in the fading sunlight. "But you already knew that, didn't you?" He turned his attention back to me, not letting me look away from his eyes. "You already knew what this place was."

I was frozen in confusion. "W-who are you?" I took a wary step backwards as fear began to creep up my spine. Had they found me?

The man titled his head again. "No no pretty girl, I didn't mean to frighten you. I'm not one of the ones they all run from...
I'm not an Outlaw."

It was if he had read my mind.

I breathed slowly and carefully, as if taking one wrong breath would bring everything down in flames. "Don't say their names." I shook my head. "They're everywhere. They'll find you."

He licked his lips. "I'm not scared. I've walked these streets too many times to fear them now. I've swallowed so much ignorance and watched the people that live here ignore what really goes on around them."

"So-so you know?" I questioned. "You know what this place is?" I was alarmed but bordering on a cautious excitement. I hadn't met many people who had come to the realization of the true horrors of Paradise City. Those I had known though... They always seemed to disappear...

So I asked again. "Who are you?"

His smile finally returned. "I have many names, pretty girl. But most here like to call me  Saint Jimmy."

"Saint Jimmy."
I repeated with intrigue.

"That's quite the name." My smile finally returned, and with that I could feel my caution begin to melt away again.