| CHAPTER XV |

Hello, Readers! Here is another chapter, finally! I am sorry that it has taken so long and I am also sorry that this chapter is so short, but I have been so busy and I've lost interest in writing this story so far. I need to get that back so that I can finish it for those of you who are still reading.

~CSP2708~

| Chapter 15 || Cured |

Lupa fell back, her jaw hanging slightly open. A little boy ran past her, through her, but she didn't feel anger. No ire. No frustration. Only sadness.

Only moments before, she was sure that she'd feel blinding rage, angry at the boy for not being able to see her, to believe in her, but she didn't. She was back to her old self – the one that only felt sorrow that the children did not hear stories about her. She was sad that they did not hear about the one who would protect them when they were far away from home, lost, looking for a way back to their loved ones. They did not know that she would be there, and therefore, when they did get lost, they would be afraid. The children wouldn't know the way home, and they would be afraid.

Lupa held in a gasp of regret. True fear was something that a child should never feel. Their fears should be innocent, just like they are. Fear of imaginary monsters, fear of the dark. It was always a fear that could be comforted by a parent or a friend. Being alone and lost in a world that was too big for you, that was a time where children should not be afraid.

In Lupa's opinion, they should not be afraid of such things because they should never be in those positions. A child should always be loved. Should always be surrounded by warmth and family.

In her heart, Lupa knew that if she felt only sorrow at their ignorance of her presence, she was safe. Pitch's curse had dissolved from her, exited her very pores, leaving her to be just how she was when no darkness infected her soul. She wasn't dangerous, and the Guardians would need her to fight her former family.

She stretched her hand above her head, higher than she could reach, only for them to shrink into wings. Her body felt lighter and with one flap she was in the air, the breeze ruffling her tail feathers as she turned northward. All night, she flew, the stars sparkling overhead and the moon's silver light guiding the way for her.

By the dawn of the next day, she had arrived at her destination. North's workshop, frosted over from the outside, but glowing with warmth from within. It was just as she'd left it. Quickly locating an open skylight – the one for Manny's light – she landed on her feet, soles clacking against the floor.

No one was there.

She turned her head. Right. Left. The yetis were there. The elves were there. Lupa shook her head. It still felt empty. She raced through the halls, her bare feet smacking the wooden boards. She threw open every door, checked every room; there was nothing. They were just... gone.

Finally coming back around to the globe room, Lupa fell onto the couch in defeat. Her head rested in her hands, sweat slowly accumulating on her shins from the heat of the fire and the exhausted adrenaline that was still pumping blood through her at an increased rate.

She only looked up when the distinct sound of a portal whirled to life. The sound of snow blowing and glitter falling and bells jingling, all mashed into one.

"Lupa?" Jack's voice was filled with relief.

The spirit of the wild looked up to see the boy smiling, though he was the dead walking. Bags hung lowly under his eyes. His hair drooped, unlike its usual frosted, spiked look.

"Jack? What happened?" She ran forwards just in time to catch Jack in her arms. His staff fell to the floor, the sound of wood on wood echoing toward the ceiling.