Chapter Six

Mom has always insisted on family dinners at least twice a week, and it's so hard to sit there across from Christina, listening to her and Mom and Dad talk about various magical happenings, all while trying to look innocent and not give away my mounting excitement. Time is moving slower than anything, and I watch the clock, hoping that I'll be able to slip away when the time comes without anyone finding out. I've never really done anything like this before, and even though I'm nervous, I'm pulsing with energy, and I kind of can't wait to test my sneaking out spell and see exactly what Miah has in store.

Luckily, dinner doesn't last very long; Dad is heading out to a coven meeting, and Mom and Christina are in a hurry to get to Christina's weekly practice group for her Threes. When the door shuts behind them, I breathe a sigh of relief and bolt upstairs to my room.

It doesn't take long for me to throw on the silver leggings and flowy black tunic I picked out earlier, and I even consider experimenting with black eyeliner, but I abandon that idea pretty fast. I've never been much of a makeup girl, and I don't want Miah to think I'm trying too hard, even if I am. Remembering the ribbon Becca was wearing in class today, I dig around in my jewelry box for something that makes me look as magical as possible without looking like I'm copying her. My fingers close on a funky necklace, one long antiqued silver chain with a collection of charms hanging off the end, including a single fluffy purple feather and a couple of crystal beads. It's weird enough to be pretty, and I slip it over my head, whispering a silent thank you to Kelsey for buying it for me for my last birthday.

Turning to face myself in the mirror on the back of my door, I scan myself critically from top to bottom and back again. My olive skin looks almost pale between my dark hair and the black top, but in a mysterious, Gothic way, not a sick, pasty way. Makeup might help, but even without it, I look...different. If I didn't know any better, I would think I was a bad-ass scribe. A wide grin splits my face, and I bend down to lace up my silver Chucks. When I straighten up, I take a deep breath, my fingers twitching. It's time. Even though I've got the house to myself, I'm not taking any chances: making sure my door is shut and the house is silent, I stand in the center of my room.

Stretching out my hands, I grab the notebook and flip to my new spell. I clear my throat and then recite the words that will, I hope, guarantee that I don't get caught tonight. There's a whiff of sulfur, followed by a quick shimmer of purple and black smoke in the air, but nothing else happens. I stand, frozen, waiting for some sign that my spell has actually worked, but there's nothing; my skin doesn't tingle, there are no clouds of glitter, and there certainly isn't the earsplitting crack of thunder that accompanies Christina's bigger spells. Warily, I eye my notebook, but then I notice the clock.

Miah told me to meet him at eight thirty, and it's already eight twenty-five. Even if I run, I won't make it to the MAX station on time. Suddenly panicked that he'll go wherever he's going without me, I shove my notebook into my backpack and burst out of my room. I'm down the stairs and out the front door in a heartbeat, and before I have time to wonder if I remembered to lock the front door, I'm already halfway down the street. It isn't completely dark yet, and I know my neighbors are probably wondering what in the world is wrong with me, but I'm too excited to care.

I hurry out of the neighborhood to the shopping center that obscures the train station, and then I slow to a walk to try and catch my breath. If this is a date, I don't think showing up panting and heaving is the sexiest thing to do, and I don't want Miah to regret inviting me. My heart won't slow down, though, even though I cross the street at a leisurely pace, and when I spot Miah standing near the edge of the platform, his hands tucked in the pockets of his black leather jacket, his eyes staring off into space, I realize there's no way my heart is going to slow down tonight. I might as well keep running; being with Miah has the same effect on me.

I hurry up to him, hoping I don't look too eager, but I can't help myself. His face lights up when he sees me, and his eyes flicker down for a moment, checking out my outfit. I resist the urge to skip up to him and start babbling, so I just give a pathetic little wave as I get closer. "I'm here," I say unnecessarily.

"Cool. I wasn't sure you'd be able to convince your folks."

I grin at him shyly. "I didn't exactly tell them," I admit.

Miah smiles even wider. "I knew you were cool, Shelby. You're going to love this."

The train rumbles up to the platform, drowning out my thoughts, and I follow Miah into the half-empty car in the middle. "Where are we going?" I ask when we've found a pair of seats under a window.

He flashes his smile at me again. "It's a surprise, but I have a feeling you're really going to like it." He eyes my bag, and then he holds out his hand eagerly. "Did you bring your spells?"

"What?" I clutch my backpack reflexively, but then I swallow. "Um, actually, I'm still working on some, and I don't know if they're ready yet."

His face falls. "I thought you were going to bring some tonight."

"Well, it's not like you gave me much warning!" I answer tartly. I do have my notebook with me, but all the confidence I felt when I got ready has gone, replaced by my usual concerns that my spells aren't worth anything, that I'm not worth anything.

Oblivious to my thoughts, Miah just shrugs. "Well, I'm ready to see your spells whenever you feel like sharing," he says, nudging my foot with the tip of his shoe. My cheeks heat up, and I look away, suddenly feeling way more vulnerable than anybody has a right to feel while the sun is still up.

I clear my throat, struggling to think of something to say, and when I look up, Miah is watching me with a curious smile. "What?" I blurt.

"I'm glad you're coming tonight, even if you don't want to show me your spells just yet."

Warmth spreads through my chest. "I'm glad I'm coming, too. I just wish I knew where we were going!" I say, trying to sound flirty.

He chuckles. "Patience, Shelby. I promise it'll be like nothing you've ever seen before."