Chapter Twenty-Eight

The wind chimes are still clanging on the porch when Christina and I walk into the kitchen, and I'm surprised to see Mom standing there. Her eye is still covered with gauze, and she looks like a ridiculous kind of pirate, but at least she's home. After a moment's surprise, Christina and I both rush to her, and she manages to hug both of us at once.

She studies our faces, and I get the feeling she can tell that we haven't switched back yet, but she doesn't say anything about that. "How did it go?"

Dad has trailed after us into the kitchen, and he sits down on a bar stool, watching me intently. I glance at Christina. "It was different than we—I—thought, but I think it went pretty well."

"Were you allowed to keep Shelby with you for all of it?" I can hear an undercurrent of worry in Mom's question, and I realize that even though she didn't butt into our issue, she must have been considering various ways Christina and I could make the whole body-swap work tonight.

"For everything but the Fennel test." I pause, hoping Mom hears more than just my words. "Mrs. McClure said I didn't need my scribe."

Dad shrugs. "That woman's always been a bit odd, but Fennel doesn't matter. I'm sure you'll have your choice of covens."

Christina and I exchange a glance, and finally I hold up the envelope. "We'll see at eleven o'clock."

Mom smiles faintly. "They didn't used to set a time spell on them; I remember ripping into my envelope immediately after the exam, just like everybody else. There was a lot of celebrating, but also a lot of fighting, too."

"That's probably why they made the decision to do it this way," Dad offers reasonably. "So," he says, smiling at me, "how do you want to spend the next hour and then some? We could watch a movie, or maybe try a board game."

"Actually," I pause, looking to Christina before I speak, hoping I don't make her mad with what I'm about to say. "I'd rather just be alone. Is that okay?"

Dad looks put out, but Mom nods. "Of course, sweetie. I can bring up some hot cocoa later, if you like?"

I nod at her, and then I glance at my sister. "I'm going up to my room," I say, hoping she'll figure out what I want.

She narrows her eyes, but then she smiles and nods slightly. "I'm tired. I think I'll go up, too."

Dad looks confused. "Don't you even want to let us celebrate with you?"

"I'll come down after I open the envelope," I offer, but he still looks annoyed. I leave the kitchen before he can tell me not to, though, and Christina follows close behind. I gesture to my bedroom and she nods, slipping in behind me and closing the door.

"Did you have an idea to get us swapped back?" She asks eagerly.

I nod. "I think so. Do you have my spell book?"

She crosses to the desk and reaches for my familiar notebook, but she hesitates before she hands it to me. "Will you still be willing to scribe for me after all this is over?"

"I didn't know if you'd want me to. I mean, I don't have that great of a track record."

She shakes her head impatiently. "You didn't, but everything you've scribed lately seems to work. Make it was like puberty or something, and you were just a late bloomer."

I snort. "Don't you think Mom would have said something if that were even possible?"

Christina shrugs, but she's still holding my spell book. "I don't know what changed," she says finally, "but if you're interested in being my scribe, I'd be happy to use you."