Chapter Twenty-Six

The first coven on my schedule is Fennel, and Christina and I wait silently in the hallway outside a room with the other casters and scribes. After a few nervous moments, the door swings open and Becca's mom steps into the hall. Her eyes sweep across the crowd, and when she spots me and Christina, the corner of her lips twitch up in a fake smile. "Christina," she says in a clear voice, "we'll start with you."

I gulp, and Christina and I move toward the door, but Mrs. McClure shakes her head. "Just Christina, I'm afraid," she says, addressing my sister. "There's no need for a scribe right now."

For one panicked moment, I can't breathe, but then Christina squeezes my arm. "Good luck," she says, sounding for all the world like she's not about to hyperventilate. "I'll be right here when you're done."

Mrs. McClure purses her lips and ushers me into the room, shutting the door behind her and cutting off my view of Christina. I pause, frightened, but then I look around the room and take a tentative step forward.

There are four chairs set up at the front of the room, and Mrs. McClure brushes past me to take her seat. The other three adults next to her aren't familiar to me, but I'm sure they're all really important members of the coven, and I feel sweat collecting under my shoulder blades. The man next to Mrs. McClure gestures impatiently, and I step forward, standing in front of them nervously.

"So, Miss King," the man who gestured to me begins, leaning forward and studying me closely, "do you have what it takes to be a member of Fennel?"

I hesitate. Should I tell him the truth? I know Christina doesn't care about Fennel, but somehow, I don't think it would be a good idea to be that blunt during the exam. What if the covens confer with each other before they extend their invitations? I don't want them to think my sister is a stuck-up prima dona or something. Finally, I shrug. "I'm not really close with anyone in Fennel, so I don't know how I'd fit in."

Mrs. McClure makes a face that's halfway between a smile and a pucker. "I know your sister is closer in age to Becca than you, but surely, you can't pretend not to know anything about her or our family."

I resist the urge to roll my eyes. Becca's not exactly a ringing endorsement for anyone to want to join this coven, but I don't say that. "I don't know her well," I say instead, choosing my words carefully, "but I don't have any issues with her." It costs me a lot to say that and sound convincing, but Mrs. McClure is the only one who seems to hear the tightness in my voice. She narrows her eyes, but the other judges just nod.

"What do you plan to do after high school?" A woman in a purple track suit asks, studying my face with her head tipped to one side.

What is this, a job interview? I shrug, trying to think if Christina's ever mentioned her plans for life after high school. "I like fashion," I say, thinking quickly of all the clothes she hoards in her closet, "so I guess it might be fun to do something with that."

There are a few more inane questions, but by the end of it, I feel like I've done okay; I didn't sound enthusiastic, but I also didn't offend any of the coven members, I hope, other than Mrs. McClure, but then again, it seems like any King who's breathing is enough to piss her off. Just when I'm starting to relax, the other man on the panel leans forward.

"Can you describe your favorite spell for us?"

I hesitate. "Do you mean my favorite that I've cast, or just that I've seen?"

Mrs. McClure looks at me, and I don't like the strange glint in her eyes. "Let's stick with one of your spells," she says, and my stomach turns over with the way she emphasizes your.