Case 1: Baby cry

Third person's point of view~

It was a slow day for the BSPR crew. And by slow, meaning they had a total of 25 customers and not one of their cases intrigued Oliver. Mai and Gene were at the lab where their abilities were being tested. Oliver stood behind the tempered glass with his father, holding a clip board.

"So far it seems Mai is exceeding our expectations. Gene is improving though we have to make sure he could keep up with the waves Mai sends him. Oliver, I think you will be pulled in sooner. It would seem that Gene would need help stabilizing Mai." Martin said to his youngest son while keeping his eyes glued on the glass.

"Yes Father."

Martin pressed a black button and said to the microphone, "okay you two. Testing is over. Mai, sweetie, be careful on sending Gene down. We don't want to send another person to the hospital."

Mai smiled sheepishly before closing her eyes concentrating on not dumping Gene unto the ground like the last guy. A soft thud could be heard. Gene opened his eyes hesitantly before sighing in relief.

"Good, today is not the day my bones will break."

Mai glared at the older Davis twin. "I can still do it you know."

Gene smiled at her lightly before running out the door.

"Noll! Control your wife!"

"I'm not his wife!"

"Yet!"

Mai, red faced and shaking with fury, chased the other medium. Oliver stood beside his father with a face void of any emotion. The aged professor smiled at the two before shooting his other son a look.

"He's right you know. I'm sure Luella would just love to have Mai in the family."

The doctor just flipped through the charts, "isn't she already?"

Martin shrugged, "yes, she is. But she could be closer. In fact, Luella and I always wanted a daughter."

"Then you should just adopt another one."

"She said Mai would be the perfect one."

"A bit too late since Lin and Madoka beat you to the punch."

Martin sighed. It was no use. Though he was sure Oliver got the hint, making him do something was an entirely different matter. But he knew just one day, his son and Mai would be wed one day. And he wants to make sure that it would be a marriage of love. From the beginning until the end. Unlike how he and Luella started off.

Oliver walked to the door before his father said something that made him stop his tracks.

"He's out now."

The psychic knew what and who his father meant. "Already?"

"Unfortunately. As you know, Lin and Madoka are away for a case in Ireland with an intern. Lin called me last night asking me to watch Mai until they return. Of course, I agreed. Noll, I want you to be with Mai 24/7."

Oliver nodded, "of course."

Martin then grinned at him, "as if you already aren't. Mai will be staying at your rooms. Luella was so excited on having Mai over that she ruined the guest room preparing it for her. I trust you won't do anything indecent."

Oliver kept his face, though he would roll his eyes and scoff if he didn't have a reputation to uphold. "Never would I think of it."

"Good. And before you leave, just one more thing to mention."

"Go ahead."

Martin picked up a thick folder and handed it to Oliver. Immediately, he skimmed through the pages. Martin pushed up his glasses.

"An old classmate of your mother requests your help. They claim that their new house that they bought is being haunted. The rest are in the folder which you have already looked through."

"I see. Anything else?"

"Just to be careful. You know how Lin and Madoka will react if anything bad happens to Mai." Martin almost shivered at the thought.

"We're always careful father. And Mai wouldn't have those injuries if she would just do as I say."

Martin chuckled, "she's just like her biological mother. Sora did do things that made Kouichi practically age twice."

Oliver said nothing and walked out the door. It seems as though Mai is more like her parents than she originally thought. Usually, Mai would like Gene in a way that if you didn't know their relationship, you would assume that they were related.

"Naru! I wanna go home!"

Speak of the devil.

"Mai, we have a case."

She smiled brightly. Oliver suddenly thought she was crazy. Every time they had a case, she always end up one way or another. There was even one time he thought that she was a masochist.

"However."

Her smile turned upside down from the sound of her favorite word.

"You are not to leave my side. Am I understood?"

Mai sighed. This was a common condition and yet, it seems she had to be reminded of it. It was not her fault ghost come to her as if she were a lighthouse shining brightly through a thick fog. Actually, that was what Gene said she was.

"Let me read the case.

He handed her the folder. Mai skimmed through them with a serious face, it made Oliver proud. Only for a second when it reverted back to her childish grin. Yet, somehow that made him happy. Happy that even when things goes bad for her, she still smiles as if everything will be alright.

"I guess we're dealing with a cry baby."

Oliver sighed. Mai was in charge of filing and with every case they encounter, she would always choose a ridiculous title for the case. But, that was Mai. And he loved her just the way she is. If only the girl could see it. And accept him back.