Everything

Gray was sinking deeper into the darkness, but it felt like a pillow. Drifting in and out of consciousness, he heard muffled voices. He hallucinated. He dreamed. All at once. He breathed and stopped and his heart was beating weakly, but it was trying. Somehow, he was keeping his shit together.

I, sure as hell, am not gonna die. Red will kill me if I die.

The thought almost made him laugh, but he was too unconscious. His whole body felt numbed and floating. Not too long ago, he felt like he'd become the physical incarnation of pure pain. Rain and mud and rocks knocking the wind out of him, beating him senseless, taking pleasure in his pain.

They weren't rocks, he realized now, but fists.

Scott, the jealous dumbass who'd cheated on Red.

Who still had the nerve to call her his after all he'd done.

Whom Gray had beat up after he found out, and then got sent to boot camp because of it.

Rage propelled Gray upward, but his limbs were useless. His heart spiked. His lungs forced themselves to take in air. He tried to force his eyes open - and his head pounded like someone had taken a jackhammer to it, and he fell back into his dark pillow with a sigh.

Footsteps swirled around his ears. Had they heard his heart?

............................