The Whisper of a Kiss

"Erina."

Gray tried not to move. The pain wasn't this fussy ache - it was sharp and all-consuming and his only constant companion. He told his mother to get some rest. Nurses and doctors have been coming and going. The pain stayed.

But Erina was here and staring at the window like it held the answers she needed.

"Erina. Red."

She finally looked away from the window and blinked at him, as if she was having trouble focusing. "Gray."

"Erina," he repeated. Funny how he still wasn't sick of saying her name.

The barest hint of a smile tugged at her lips. "You remembered." She stepped closer and unhooked the chart from his bed, skimming it. "What the fuck."

"Yeah, your ex got me good," he said, trying to smile. He succeeded, but his face started to throb like one big heart. Erina flushed, but she threw the chart on the bed and sat down next to him, pulling her knees up like they were in her room.

Gray smiled wider. Normal. Then he caught sight of her face.

"Fuck," she said again, her hands going up to her bent head, pulling fistfuls of her hair. "I never should have dated that asshole. And you know I don't like stating the obvious, so just consider this - I am so, so sorry, Gray. I - I'm such a fucking idiot - "

"It took a mild concussion, broken ribs, and a whole lot of bruises to make me remember your name," he said gently, though he thought wryly, that's not the case. He can't stand hearing her tear herself up like this. Mostly because it wasn't her fault - and partly because it was too much like the way she used to be. "Who's the idiot?"

She lifted her head again and attempted a laugh. It sounded more like a sob.

"Can you just keep saying 'I never should have dated that asshole' until my injuries magically heal?" he asked, mock-pathetic. "It's one of your best."

"You're the idiot," she scoffed, so naturally that Gray felt his heart leap. Then she sighed, pulling a knee up. "I never should have dated that asshole. I never should have dated that asshole."

"I can actually feel my bones mending," he deadpanned.

"I never should have dated that asshole. I never should have dated that asshole.'

"I think asshole is a little light though. The guy hit you, deluded himself into thinking you're still his, and then went after me."

"I never should have dated that asshole. I never should have dated that asshole. You said this specific statement, dumbass."

"That's more like it, Collins."

"More like what? I never should have dated that asshole."

"More like you and me, in a room, talking."

"Under the most fucked-up circumstances possible. Jeez. I really never should have dated that asshole."

"Yeap. I'm fully healed. Now please get me the hell out of here."

"Not a chance." They looked at each other and laughed at the same time, subconsciously dreading the moment when one of them looked away.

Neither of them did.

At least not until the nurse from before came in to adjust his medication. By then, Gray had almost forgotten that the pain was raging out of control, because Erina was next to him, holding his hands. They broke away when the nurse came in.

"Fuck it," Gray said, more surprised than anything. They'd told him to hit the button in case he needed more painkillers, but it had slipped his mind. And so had the pain. Now it's back, full-force. He winced violently, and Erina stood up abruptly.

"You've used up very little painkillers since Ms. Collins came in," the nurse said interestedly. "Did you forget the button, Mr. O'Shea?"

"Yes," Gray replied sheepishly, taken aback by her kind face, and winced again. Erina grabbed his hand again. "How long until he can leave?" she asked.

"The doctors will keep testing him until they're sure he's out of danger," the nurse replied. "But it's all lookin' quite good, hon. I imagine the pain's not so."

"Yeap," he groaned, pushing the button and lying back. "Fuck it."

"Language," the nurse said mildly. "Press the other button if it gets to be too much. Now, I'm gonna have to send you off to sleep, but you won't be dreaming, don't you worry."

Gray felt mildly panicked, looking at Erina's hand still in his. "Will you stay?" he blurted, forgetting for a second that the nurse was in the room.

"Always," she replied. It would have been the perfect time to make a 'Just can't stay away from me, can you?' joke, but Erina's raised eyebrow reminded him that he just begged her. Crapsticks. He grinned again, just as the meds kicked in.

"Erina," he said thickly. "Jeez. Ahh..."

"I'm here," she said, and he felt her move closer, felt her breath against his face, the slightest whisper of a kiss.

Then he closed his eyes and let the darkness take him.

*************