1 - A father's choice

"It is the only way," The man in the dark coat said. Why could the man not see that his sister was in love and happy, with a child along the way. Why did he want to give his twin sister away to the King of the East. Erick sighed, and shook his head.

"Father, this is not the only way. You can't send her away with Thomas' unborn child." Erick tried to reason, "They will murder it. They will murder your unborn grandchild."

"We have no other choice." This time his father's voice was firm and clipped. "The deal is done. You son, have no say in this." It told Erick that if he pressed the situation any further he would be in for a caning.

Erick's father was a vicious lord. He was money hungry and power thirsty. Erick couldn't understand why his father was trying to tear apart a happy family. But then again, he could. He completely understood why.

The King of the East, also widely known as The King, was the Monarch of their sovereign world. In fact, without the help of the king, a mere lord as his father would not have all the riches and powers he now possessed. So Erick could understand why his father wanted to marry his pregnant sister off the king. The saddest part of it all was that his father was trying to blind sight the king, for the king did not know that Salsabil (Salsa), Erick's sister, was pregnant with another man's child, nor that she was already spoken for; and in all honestly Erick didn't want to know what would happen not only to his sister and her unborn child, but also to his entire family. But he had a good idea. The king had a vicious reputation. The rumours say that the king him-self killed his own wife and carrier when he found out that she was barren. It was disgusting news. But that was the rumour which gave Erick's father the idea to marry Salsa off to the King. Low behold, the king had accepted the proposition in return for more gold and wealth. So basically he was buying a wife from the South.

Erick could hear his sister weep in agony. When he turned to look at her his heart broke even more. His sister sat on the floor, with her arms wrapped around her husband's chest, crying her eyes out. Her usually pretty face was more puffy and wet. All Erick wanted to do was run up to his sister, hug her and tell her that everything would be okay. But he couldn't lie to her.

"We will not speak of this any further." His father said, "Salsabil, pack your things. They will be here to pick you up in two days. Don't make me repeat myself. Be ready." Then turned around and walked out of the study while slamming the door behind him.

Erick curled his fingers into his fist; he was shaking with anger. How dare he; how dare he rip a family apart like this. Erick walked up to his sister and kneeled down beside her.

"I'm sorry Salsa." He said. "I wish there was something I could do." He reached out and held her cheek in his palm, turning her face to him. "I promise that I will do all that I can to help you." And he meant every single word of it.

"I don't want to marry the king." She mumbled between sobs.

Salsa's husband wrapped his arms around her protectively. "I promise that I will protect you no matter what happens."

Erick couldn't watch this anymore. So, as his sister continued to cry and her husband continued to sooth her sorrows, Erick walked out the study and into his room.

That night he could not sleep. His eyes stayed wide awake, as his mind continued to plot way to save his loving and kind sister. She didn't deserve this. She didn't deserve this at all. Erick punched the bed and sat up. Picking up the picture of him and his sister from his bedside he looked at the portrait. The low light which illuminated his room in the dead of night only allowed his to make out the obvious details in the photo, like their face shape, their hair and their brown eyes. In fact, in the darkness, Erick couldn't really make out who was who. They looked so alike that when they were younger his nanny had a difficult time telling them apart.