3 - A Change

|Vote and Comment|

She had left.

Erick stood at the foot of the bed looking at the now empty room. It was silent and eerie. It was as if Salsa had never lived in that room. The bed was pristinely made, boxes of her things were neatly stacked in the corner, and her old dresser was stripped bare. For a moment Erick couldn't comprehend how his sister's entire life could fit into no more than a mere 16 boxes. It was a depressing thought. He sighed and ran his fingers through his long hair. Now, the rest was up to him. Erick shuffled to his room, fixed his bed, and left a note on his pillow for not only his father but also his brother. It simply noted that he would be gone for a while and will be home when he was over the injustice that had been done to his beloved sister.

Erick pulled a pair of sharp scissors from his desk and grabbed a few of his clothes, along with other bits and pieces before heading back to Salsa's room. Hiding his things wasn't going to be a problem. He just needed to find a box that was empty enough for him to put his own stuff in.

Erick pulled one of the boxes from it's the corner of the room. It was relatively large and brown, but weighted less than anticipated. Opening it he found no more than a few bits and pieces. Mostly it was Salsa's clothes. Lucky for him, his sister was a bit of a tomboy, meaning that she had more pants in her wardrobe than dresses. Erick took out the first piece of oversized clothing and laid it flat on the floor. If he could wrap his own things in it and put it back, no one would suspect a thing. Placing his own things at the centre he wrapped Salsa's top around his stuff. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it would have to do. Then, he stuffed it back into the box and re-sealed the lid with tape. Now that that was done and out of the way it was time for the hardest part of his plan.

Erick stepped out from his clothes and folded them neatly to the side, then slipped into a robe to cover his nude body. He checked the door to see if it was closed and locked properly before taking a seat in front of the dresser.

Breath in and out, in and out. He told himself over and over again.

This was for the greater good. Don't think about the consequences. Erick closed his eyes and let his hair fall from the tight ponytail. It fell below his shoulders in beautiful long brown locks. This would be the last time it would be this length, and perhaps even the last time he got to be truly himself.

There was a photo on the dresser. It was of Salsa and Erick when they young kids. They were laughing and hugging, like real siblings did sometimes. Erick couldn't pin point when the photo was taken but he could feel the happiness that radiated from the both of them through the photo. 

Breath in and out, in and out. He chanted to himself several times before parting his hair in the middle and sectioning it off to the front. It was now or never. Taking a section in his hand Erick looked to the mirror, brought his scissors to his hair and snipped it off. The sound of the hair under the scissor blades would be a sound he would not forget, as he cut section by section till all of his long hair lied in a heap on the floor near his feet.

The scissors fell from his hands to the table top, and he took a good look at himself. Under the artificial lights he looked identical to his sister. If he didn't know what it was actually him, even he would have believed that the person sitting in front of his was his sister. Erick quickly gathered the chopped hair from the floor, rapped bits of it in toilet paper and flushed it down the toilet before getting into the shower to remove the rest of the fallen bits from his body.

When he came out from the shower he rummaged through Salsa's things again to find some nightwear. The only thing that he could find was a knee length night shirt. It was good enough, and it would have to do.