4 - Dressed in Gold

*I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you guys can see this update! If you can VOTE so I can see how many are able to see this. This is about the 7th time I'm trying to update. Hopefully 7th time is the charm ;P

Erick felt so uncomfortable. The jewels on his dress kept poking him and the dress was laced up so tight that he wondered how his sister would have ever fitted into the dress, let alone been able to breathe in it. He could finally understand why his sister always avoided wearing the prescribed women's clothing and always wore men's pants, even if it was unconventional and mostly frowned upon.

Erick fidgeted with his clothes trying to make himself more comfortable. Why did they have to be so god damn tight! Nothing really helped and he couldn't wait till he could finally be free from the confines of the dress. Stella, who stood not too far away, nudged him in the arm. When he turned to look at her she frowned at him. It was warning for him to stay still and behave like a lady. Erick rolled his eyes, and then turned back to face his father who was standing in front of him talking to a tall, slender man in a blue uniform.

Erick had been introduced to the men before. They were a part of the Royal guard here to escort the King's consort back to the palace. The men themselves didn't look intimidating. Sure, they were tall, much taller than Erick, and buff beyond anything he had seen, but Erick didn't feel intimidated. Perhaps, it was because he didn't allow himself to feel intimidated. Perhaps, it was because his mind was too preoccupied with how uncomfortable the dress was and what he was going to do once he got to the palace.

"My dearest Salsabil," Erick heard someone say, "Come to me my child." Erick looked up, perplexed. For the first time in his life he saw his father acting kindly and speaking softly. It took him a moment to realise that his father was talking to him. The man had an arm extended invitingly, and in a panic Erick looked to Stella. She only nodded, almost encouraging him to take his father's hand. Turning back to face his father Erick closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. It was far too late for him to jump out from his clothes and say it was all a prank. His father would kill him right there and there; if not his father it would be the King's guard. Erick reached for his father's hand and took a step closer to him.

"My child, you look so beautiful today." The man said while softly caressing his face, "There is something different about you, my child. You look radiant. Sometimes you look so much like your mother." Erick smiled awkwardly at his father. It was fair to say that this was the closest he had ever been to his father. Erick could remember that since he was a child his father wanted nothing to do with him; didn't even allow him to stand close enough to be touched. What a pitiful childhood he had had. "It is a pity that your brother couldn't be here today to see you off. That boy needs to get his priorities sorted." Erick tried to keep himself calm as he possibly could.

"It is time, Lord Clifton." Interrupted the tall man Erick's father had been speaking to before.

"It is time to leave, my child. Your King awaits your presence." His father continued, caressing Erick's face lovingly "Remember that you are loved; that I love you. Remember that you will always have a home here and that you can come to your home any time." Erick held back the urge to scoff and laugh and cry all at the same time. He had known that his father was deceitful and manipulative, but he had never expected him to lie and act like a caring father so well. The man was such a good actor that Erick wanted to believe him for a moment. But the moment his father's arms wrapped around him in a hug the man whispered into his ear, "You better not ruin this for me." thus revealing his father's true nature.

He was an awful man.

Letting go of his father and stepping back, Erick turned around, one last time, to face Stella. He walked up to her and hugged her tightly. "If you need anything, write to me." She whispered, wrapping her arms around him as well. After a moment they stood apart and Erick walked towards the guards. They parted for him like the sea did for Joseph, and Erick followed them to the carriage without sparing a single glace in his father's direction.