Seventeen

Kenzie

I wait in the cold, dank hospital waiting  room. It's a sunny, happy looking Thursday morning. But inside the hospital waiting room, things are cold and gray. 

Maddie came back to us last night completely physically unharmed, but Marduk mentally damaged her. She couldn't even sleep last night. Luckily, Kalani was there with her the whole time to hold her and tell her how much she loves her. 

Maddie, Kalani, and I wait together in the waiting room. Kalani is holding Maddies hand, and Maddie is looking around, her eyes rimmed with tears. She looks over at me and smiles. I smile back. 

Dr. Hanson walks out with a smile on his face. "He's awake," He says, "And he would like to see Kenzie first." 

I stand up, slowly and look at Maddie. She nods and smiles thinly. I sigh and look at Dr. Hanson.
I walk into the hospital room. The windows are open, and Marduk is looking out it. He turns around and looks at me. 

"Kenz," He says quietly. His expression is wary, and his voice is hoarse. He sits down at the edge of the bed. I sit down next to him. 

"Hi," I say, my voice shaking. "How...how are you feeling?" Marduk shakes his head and narrows his eyes.

"I didn't call you in here to make small talk, Kenz," He says firmly. "I have to tell you something. Something you might want to hear."

I nod, and I'm surprised at how much patience I have with him. After all, he did kidnap my sister and take her to barn and mentally torture her for two days, and he tried to steal her from Kalani. There are plenty of reasons why I should be mad at him. But I can't be. I don't know why. 

"What is it?" I push. Marduk clears his throat and looks away. 

"I told Maddie this, so I think it's right I tell you," He says. "The reason I came to LA wasn't good."  

"Okay," I reply, "Why did you come to LA?" 

"Back in Las Vegas, I was a registered sex offender," He says, all in one big, rushed tone. "I did horrible things to children, and even to my own daughter. I'm here because I'm on the run." He looks at me. "They don't recognize me because I began this trip to LA when my hair was still short. And...contacts do their job when you need it." He chuckles, and I stare at him.  

"You never told me the part about Grace." Maddies thick, angry voice cuts through the silence that was being held. Marduk whips around and stares at her. 

"I know," he admits. "I'm sorry." Maddie just shakes her head. 

"I'm done." She turns around and walks out. "I'm DONE!" We hear a slam outside. Marduk looks at me and sighs. He smiles weakly. 

All the sudden, a bundle of cops burst in. Marduk bolts upright in his bed, and a look of panic passes over his face. "Hi," He stammers. He looks at me and smiles thinly. "I don't like cops," he whispers. 

The police stare at me, and then at him. 

"Hi," one cop says, "You must be...Marduk Reyes?" Marduk's face flushes and he looks around the room.

"Fine," He says, his voice high pitched and shaking. He does something shocking.

He holds out his hands. 

"Handcuff me, officer," He says, his voice icy and merciless. The cop stares in befuddlement, and then shrugs and handcuffs. Marduk slowly smiles as he puts them on.  

Marduk looks at me. He smiles. 

"It's not the end, Kenz," He says. 

"It's not the end."