Chapter One

Fourteen Years Later

The flock of birds arose and flew away. The ground trembled and rumbled. A crack started to appear, tree roots were freed from the earth, bushes were swallowed whole, maniacal laughter filtering through the air. A hot breeze floated up from the crack, deeply singeing the grass around it. It was time...Time for revenge. Time to spin a curse upon those who wronged him. Time to bring death to all.

Fourteen Years Later - Day After Crack Appears

Queen Falcon

I stood by the huge window that overlooked the garden below, mummers of the council humming behind me as they waited. They all waited for me to start the meeting, officially. They, our children, mine and Dean's precious little souls, were why everything I did almost everything I did. Why every ruling, every important step forward was important. Every step was crucial for their future, and the future of other children with powers in their veins. My children, my dearest loves, were playing and chasing each other about in the garden. Their laughter obvious on their faces and in their body language. The smiles on their faces, the innocence and the privilege of being young and having none to little information on how the world really worked. For now that bliss was something I wished would stay with them for much longer than I knew it would, for the world could be cruel to those who were good. The murmurs got louder and louder till shouting erupted behind me. It was all laughter and serene peace outside, flourishing and growing, while in here, it was chaos, anger and the possible destruction of everything all of us had fought so hard for.

A surge of power had been felt throughout the land yesterday. A surge that everyone with power felt deep inside their bones. I had watched Fay's eyes as it had swept through her, her face collapsing into fear and worry, our bodies shaking from the force of the surge. Innocence's was leaving her, and soon, much to soon she would know the truth. She would have to know a deep and terrible secret, and the price that came with it. It was deep and dark, evil had permeated through the surge. I had only felt this once before. I knew deep down what it was. I knew who it was. I had hugged Fay tight, trying to keep her calm while also trying to control my own insurmountable fear building inside myself. We were not the only two in the palace that had felt it, thus why today, we had waited till the council had convened to talk about it. To make a choice. To figure out what to do and how to do it. It had to be dealt with and fixed. There was no other choice.

The yelling increased, to a volume I had thought not possible, the voices booming off the walls and corners of the room. Everyone was arguing, some points were honest and brutal while other seemed not to be connected at all. I whirled around, walking straight to the table and resting my palms on it before speaking. Barely above a whisper, I spoke.

"Enough! Be silent, all of you." I looked everyone in the eyes as I said this, catching their full attention.

"This bickering will get us no where and does us no good."

Everyone froze, some who had been standing, sat back down in their chairs, some with a look of resignation on their faces. With the rustle of a few more skirts, some grumbling, the scrapping of a few chairs, a cough or two from others and the room was again silent. Deathly silent. No one spoke. No one dared to speak now that I has spoken. Everyone looked at me, their eyes telling me they all had something to say, but they waited. Someone could drop something and it would ring around the room for awhile. Most of the time we could come to an agreement, this time, I feared no one would agree. Of course Phoenix and her brother always stuck together in their opinion. I could always count on that. I let a small smile reach my eyes, before tucking it away and standing straight before the rest of the council.