Talk Of The Ball

With the yearned for/dreaded ball fast approaching, the headmistress arranged an extra outing to Hogsmeade. The head-witch also organized a clothing bazaar in the village so that her charges would be able to buy themselves garments for her event. Every cloth dealer and dressmaker was there, from Second Hand-Harold to Madam Malkin. Students milled between the stands looking, pointing, and spending their hard-earned Knuts.

"Oh, can you believe it?! Harry asked me out! ME! Thee-hee," Ginny jumped in the air while brandishing the note she had received yesterday morning. "Although...," she continued wrinkling her brow, "being the saviour of mankind, he should have plucked up the nerve to ask me himself."

Hermione shook her head. She would not get involved in the Harry-Ginny affair again.

They stood by an aged woman's stand, looking at second-hand jewelery. Ginny had already found her dress; Hermione hadn't been that lucky.

"And...," the freckled girl persisted, "he shouldn't have broken up with me in the first place if he was just going to come crawling back!" She turned to Hermione, "Honestly I really should turn him down and let the bastard suffer!"

"He'd deserve it...," Hermione began with a smile on her lips.

"Yeah," Ginny agreed darkly.

"But then you wouldn't be able to dance with him at the ball."

"Can't I show up without a date? We'll be forced together by the special pair dance in the end anyway, right?"

"That dance won't be at the end of the ball." Hermione had seen to that, if it was in the middle people might be less focused on her and Snape. "But yes, you would have to dance with Harry then."

Ginny smiled a wicked little smile then looked around her. Seamus stood not too far away.

"Hey, Seamus!" She yelled and walked over to him.

He smiled as they approached. Hermione noticed he hurriedly stuffed a piece of paper in his pocket.

"What?" he asked in a pleasant tone.

Hermione saw that Dean was off a little way, speaking to a very good-looking dark girl. The market wasn't open only to Hogwarts students, even if they were overly represented.

"Oooh" Ginny cooed while batting her lashes. "Would you take me to the ball Seamus?"

The question seemed to startle the boy.

"I dunno... I wasn't really thinkin' of going, " he squirmed.

"Come on now, Seamus. You have to go," Ginny pleaded, looking as cute as she could.

Seamus saw a way out. "In any case I can't take you, Gin. You've dated two of my best friends!" He glanced over at Dean. "And you're Ron's little sister on top of that. I'd get Hell."

Ginny pouted.

"Gin. Please. I can't. I'm rather avoiding that dance."

Ginny pouted and batted her lashes. Hermione thought she looked silly but apparently Seamus disagreed.

"Fine, I'll take you." He sighed. "No man with blood could deny your eyes."

Hermione rolled her eyes.

Ginny lit up and beamed with her entire face. "Thank you! Thank you Seamus!" she flung her arms around him.

He gently but firmly detached her. "Um.. We're not going on...like a date, right?" he asked, looking worriedly over at Dean. Dean hadn't noticed. "'Cause honestly I'd get hell."

"Oh no! We're just going as friends," she answered smiling from ear to ear.

Seamus gave her and Hermione an unsure smile. "Thinking about it, I'll still get hell."