4: Red

Slight trigger warning

Mat watched sadly as two Oranges approached the Gray, Nate. They asked him something and he replied, a blank look on his face.

They laughed and said something else. Nate shook his head and replied. Then they mocked him. Even from Mat's locker he could see the fierce anger in Nate's eyes. An anger he wasn't supposed to have.

The Oranges kept laughed and being rude when Nate snapped.

"Shut up!" He yelled. "It's not my fault I was born like this! Go bother someone else if you're so desperate to kill someone tonight! Just like you did my sister!"

He slammed his locker door closed and stormed away.

Mat peeked around the corner. He was outside. The sky was gray. Funny, he was looking for a Gray.

He found him, curled up in a corner, tears flowing freely down his face. This confused Mat, but, then again, he just yelled at two Oranges for them supposedly killing his sister.

Mat sat next to Nate. Nate looked at him in suprise.

"Hey," Mat said.

"H-hi," Nate responded. "W-what are you doing here?"

Mat shrugged. "I came to see if you were alright."

"I'm a Gray, I'm-I'm always alright."

Mat furrowed his eyebrows. "I can tell that's not the case for you, or your sister." Nate flinched.

"Sorry!" Mat said. "Don't talk about something you don't want to!"

Nate sighed. "I guess I should get it off my chest," he took a deep breath. "When I was younger I knew I felt emotions, and so did my sister. My sister used to be happy, but then these two Oranges named Mark and Jack started bullying her. She became sad. Always sad. Eventually she killed herself." He sniffed, wiping his eyes. "This is such a weird sight, a Gray being comforted by a Red."

Mat smiled. "Hey, I would help anyone."

For a split second Mat swore he saw disappointment flash in Nate's brown eyes, but it was gone before he could be sure. "That's good." Was all Nate said.

Mat grinned at him. "Well, we do have class. Shouldn't we go to it?"

Nate nodded. "Yeah, I'll be there in a second."

"I'm staying with you until you're ready." Mat insisted.

"Oh, no. You shout do that! You're such a good student! I don't want to damage your record." Nate protested.

"Don't worry, I want to!"

Nate smiled slightly. "Thanks."

"You're welcome."