5: Gray

Nate felt as though he could open up to Mat, which he never could to anyone before. He told Mat all of his hopes and fears, which was nice, being free like that.

Nate poked Mat in the arm. He glanced up at the black haired boy. "What?" He asked. 

"I'm board." They were sitting at the park, working on a project. A writing project where they had to describe, in detail, the scenery of anywhere in the town of Argotum. Nate was already done, being a fast writer.

Mat rolled his eyes. "Deal with it," he said.

Nate groaned again. He watched the children as the swung on swings, slid down slides, all with a smile on their face. That was something Nate could never do.

He heard Mat tap his pencil on his notebook, something his friend tended to do when he was thinking. Sometimes Nate wondered if Mat was just his friend out of sympathy, or if he really liked him. Nate didn't lien that train of thought, and never followed it.

"Are you done yet?" Nate asked. 

Mat sighed. "I'm as done as I think I can be," he said.

"Good! Cause I want to do something!" 

"Like what?"

"Not sit here and wait for you to write a description of a park, mostly."

Mat laughed. "Alright, a movie then?"

"Sure!"

Nate walked into his home.

"Where were you?" His mother asked.

"The park, working on a project," Nate responded.

"Why the park?"

"We had to describe something in the town."

"I'm disappointed in you."

"Why?" Nate tried to hide his confusion.

"Of all the places, you pick one of the ones with the most happiness," his mother scolded.

Nate could see her point, there were laughing children, proposals, and love all around that park. Pretty much, all colors except Grays and Blacks.

His mother didn't want him near such happiness.

Sometimes Nate wondered if Gray mothers could feel love for their children. He knew Black mothers couldn't, but he knew Grays could feel a little more than Blacks. 

He didn't like that train of thought either, and didn't follow it.

"You're to creative," his mother often said. "That's going to get you nowhere in life."

Mat always said his creativity was a gift, and that he wished he could have it.

Nate would rather believe Mat.

Nate liked that train of thought. He didn't follow it.

~~~~~~~~~~

Just so you know, didn't in the last sentence wasn't a typo.

Kay, just incase you wondered.

~Rose