-16-

You might think that after those two loaded hot dogs for lunch only hours ago, I might have less of an appetite for dinner. Three bowls of macaroni later, I finally feel full.

"I knew it was a good idea to make two boxes," Bobby says.

"Thanks so much for... for everything," I say as Bobby pushes away from the table. He picks up both of our bowls and puts them in the sink, then shuffles off to the living room again. "Uh, you know, for dinner, and the clothes and all?"

"Don't mention it," Bobby calls over his shoulder.

I stand and hesitate near the sink. If I want to have any light when I head off I should leave now. But I can tell Bobby will leave those dishes in the sink until mold starts growing again, unless I wash them. And what harm could it do? Bobby has given me so much, the least I can do is one last sinkful of dishes.

And when those dishes are done, and Bobby's eyes have slipped shut by the light of the television, and I've repacked the boxes with all the clothes I won't need, I enter that bedroom down the hall.

It's worse than the shrine.

Now I know Bobby's son must be dead and gone. The little bed is neatly made up with a faded Star Wars comforter. Books and toys line the shelves. I drop the box down on the bed and pick up a sealed package containing an action figure of Han Solo. There is a thick layer of dust coating the top. I wonder if Bobby's son was a serious collector. Or if he'd ever been here at all.

The clothes are practically new, the toys are new, the books have no creases on the spine.

For the first time I wonder where Bobby's wife is. Did she take their son and leave him here all alone?

I place the box back on the floor, on the square spot where the carpet looks brand new instead of dulled over by dust, and head back into the living room. Lila is whining at the door so I let her in, and then I sit down on the couch, pull an afghan over me, and warm my toes under Lila's body curled at my feet.

The television's dancing lights and muted sound send me to sleep.