-49-

This isn't a good idea.

I tell myself this, but as I'm asleep on my feet, I keep forgetting. This isn't a good idea. This isn't a good idea.

I can't stay with her. I'm not the hero she wants me to be. I'm better off on my own. Kayla can take care of herself. She was just fine when she caught up to me, back on that country road in the late summer. Well-fed. Strong. Me, I was half-starved and half-suicidal. Now we're both half-starved, and slowly freezing to death. I haven't been able to feel my toes for the past two nights, which I haven't minded since it means my toes haven't felt cold.

She doesn't trust me as a wolf, either. I can't blame her; I don't trust myself as a wolf. Yet we both know we'd be almost home by now if we traveled as wolves.

All my weaknesses are killing us.

In the flakes of snow pouring from the sky, I shuffle through waist deep snow. I'm so tired that I'm not sure which direction I'm traveling. Away. I'm headed away.

This is not a good idea.

Just a few miles more, a few yards, a few feet. I can do this. I can disappear. Whatever hope Kayla is hanging on my shoulders will disappear into the white. She'll realize she doesn't need me as much as she thinks she does. She won't be able to follow my scent through the storm. She'll be forced to go on without me.

Trees. A meager forest. I move among the branches, grateful for their cover. Maybe I can find a sheltered spot to lie down. Sleep pushes on my eyelids and makes everything feel like a bad dream. I'm falling, or maybe I chose to lie down here. I hit the snow and it's like icy feathers tickling my face. Spread eagle in the snow, my eyes drift closed. Before the lights go out, I think one last time,

(This is not a good idea.)