Chapter 1

"I do not think, sir, you have any right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have; your claim to superiority depends on the use you have made of your time and experience." Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

---

Have Hope

Chapter One

Norwood, Derbyshire

August, 1813

"Christopher Kensington," Kit murmured to the election official, who subsequently went down his list of landowning men in the district to find his name.

"That is Sir Christopher Kensington, I will have you now," Cassian corrected proudly.

"Father, please," Kit hushed. He was still not at all comfortable with the attention, and the knighthood it had brought. It was all sort of silly, really. He had only been in the right place at the right time.

Kit had been a student at Cambridge University for the last four years. He had completed his studies in June, and had now permanently returned to Derbyshire to help his father run his textile business.

But his last month at Cambridge had been far more eventful than any before that. Prince Edward, the younger son of King William V had been completing his first year of study, just as Kit had been finishing. Kit had been leaving an examination when he noticed an unusual man skulking across the school grounds. He had looked agitated and angry.

Kit had been making his way towards the man to ask him what was the matter when he saw him produce a pistol from the inside of his coat. His target was the young prince, sitting by himself reading.

It had been instinct, really. Kit had cried out to the prince and tackled the would-be assassin to the ground.

Kit had gained much from the ordeal. The King had given him a knighthood and had offered a generous income, not that Kit had accepted. He was famous and was lauded a hero. But Kit was most glad to come away from the situation with a friend.

Of course his parents could not have been prouder. His mother could not stop parading him about and introducing him to everyone as Sir Kit. He would have been annoyed were he not so happy to have parents that wanted to brag about him.

Kit would never take them for granted. Ever.

"Sir Christopher, forgive me," muttered the official. He marked Kit's name, then Cassian's, and then Finn's.

It was the district election between the sitting MP and another candidate. The election was being held in the church as it was the largest room in town. Inside, landowning men from all over had come to cast their votes between the two idiots.

Supporters from both sides were hawking, campaigning for their candidate, waving flyers about trying to sway voters at the last minute.

Kit had no idea who he was going to vote for as he took his ballot over to the station. He had to choose between two names, but both were as corrupt and self-serving as each other. It seemed one had to choose between the lesser of two evils.

The sitting MP, Sir John Strachan, had voted against improving rights for the poor in parliament. Kit supposed that was unforgivable. With a sigh, he dipped his quill in ink and marked the box of the opponent. Kit hoped he would do well should he be lucky enough to be elected.

"How is Faith doing?" asked Finn once all three men had cast their votes and left the church. They stood together on the road. The streets were relatively quiet as most of the village was inside the church.