Chapter 6

"Fathers. Mothers. With all their caring and attention. They will f--- you up, every time." Chuck Palahnuik, Snuff

---   

Chapter Six

Kit had never entertained the idea of his life taking an alternate course. He was always supposed to return home to help his father run the textile business. That was what his life would be. And so he had never imagined what else he could be if he had the freedom to choose.

Kit's start in life had been miserable. He was named for the day he was found. It was highly likely that July twenty-fifth was not his true birthday. Christopher was not the name his first mother had given him. He was raised in a home with dozens of other children and was never afforded an ounce of genuine affection.

In fact, Kit had never felt like he mattered until Cassian had offered him the opportunity to learn to read. Kit had always believed that people like him were not important. It was a common understanding.

And how was that right? Was not it the responsibility of one's elected representatives to advocate for those who did not have a voice?

Kit would not wish the feelings of such insignificance on anyone. It was a harrowing and empty existence. He was going to do something about it.

Kit was going to become an MP. He was going to represent a county or borough fairly and he would do his best to hold himself accountable to the needs of the people. It was important for someone to be elected that knew the plight of the everyday Englishman and woman.

Was this how Olivia felt all the time? Kit had such a rush of energy. It was as though purpose was flowing through his veins.

Olivia's cheeks were still red having just learned of Edward's deception. How shocking it must have been to suddenly realised royalty had graced one's hall. His own mother had reacted quite the same when she had first become acquainted with Edward. It was odd now, really how accustomed he had become in having a prince as a friend.

Kit had to admit that the red was quite becoming on Olivia. Her passion and focus could be construed as a little intimidating. But underneath it, she was still a human girl, and Kit found her to be just as extraordinary as the girl she was in conversation.

"How do I go about this?" Kit asked. There was a hint of embarrassment in his voice. He wanted to be an MP, but had no idea, really, of how to enter the House of Commons.

"You essentially buy your way in," replied Edward, who pursed his lips distastefully. "There is a reason why those who sit in parliament are all sons of peers, or corrupt gentlemen out to sway the majority towards their own interests. Anyone with money can have a say in government these days."

Kit's heart immediately sank. Perhaps it was naïve of him to think he could triumph because he was good.

"Yes, it is true money has a say in things," retorted Olivia, "but anyone with property worth forty shillings or more can vote in an election Kit. If you are able to persuade them towards your cause then you have just as good a chance as any."

Kit had witnessed his father conduct many business transactions. There was always give and take involved. He would have to represent all the people, including the rich, and so he would need to understand what they required of him, whilst not compromising his advocating for the poor.

"I understand it is not my business, but you do have an income of six hundred pounds annually, yes?" asked Edward.

Kit frowned. "What does my income matter?" What a highly inappropriate topic to discuss.