Chapter 21

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people." Alan Moore, V for Vendetta

---  

Chapter Twenty – One

Kit leapt out of his chair in the dining room of the inn when he saw through the window Olivia emerging from her carriage. It had been far too long since he had last seen her.

If he had learned anything during their parting from one another, it was that he preferred to be in her company than without it. Christmas at the Palace was extraordinary, but he would take an intimate conversation with Olivia any day.

Kit practically pulled the door off its hinges in order to meet her outside.

Olivia was fixing her travelling cloak. She wore her hair down for travelling, and the brisk January wind was blowing it across her face. Just that image of her, with her hair windswept as it was, made her look as beautiful as he had ever seen her.

Kit could not wait for this election to be over. He wanted to win, of course, but he wanted to properly court Olivia. He did not want any more of the abhorrent speculation about her. Kit wanted to court her, and when the time was right, he wanted to propose and marry her.

Kit knew that Olivia would love Westminster. She would love the power and influence that she would have as an MP's wife. She would be able to achieve more than she could have ever dreamed.

And they could be happy together. Kit knew that Olivia would make him happy. He only hoped that he could make her happy as well.

"Olivia!" he cried.

Olivia looked up at him and she smiled brightly. Kit would never tire of her smile. "Kit!" Olivia closed the distance between them quickly and hugged him tightly.

Kit found himself holding her close, his arms fixed around her waist and, bending over due to his height, his head resting on top of hers. He could smell the scented soap in her hair still.

Olivia moved her head and looked up at him. In their present position they were only inches from each other. Olivia's eyes softened as she looked at him. Her brows furrowed slightly and she looked slightly conflicted.

"What is it?" he asked her quietly.

"I saw your parents while I was in Derbyshire," she told him, though something in his gut was telling him that this was not the only thing that was on her mind.

Kit pulled away only slightly, still keeping an arm around her waist as he led her inside and out of the cold. "You did?" was all he could manage to say in reply. He and Olivia sat down at the table he had been occupying before.

"They are both well," she assured him.

Kit knew that. His mother's letter at Christmas had assured him that they were all in good health. How could he ask Olivia if his father was still furious with him without looking like a coward?

"They miss you," she continued softly.

"Did he say that?"

Olivia pursed her lips. That had to mean no. "Well, not exactly," she admitted, "but you ought to have seen his face when he saw I was alone. He was so sad. He wanted to see you."

Kit could imagine his father wouldn't have admitted anything to Olivia. He was too preoccupied with his prejudices against her to see the good deed she was trying to do in calling upon them. "You have such a good heart, Olivia," he complimented sincerely. "I appreciate you visiting them. It must not have been easy knowing how my father feels about your family."