NINE

It was a small red dot. It almost made me laugh. Such a small red dot—and it is this small red dot which will kill me. Granted it's getting bigger, bleeding everywhere, the metal inside the dot probably having torn through my organs. But for a moment—if you brush aside the inability to expand my lungs and the pain so excruciating that my whole body is collapsing—I could actually play the part of an average girl having menstrual cramps or something. You know, when your face is white, and your skin is sweating, and it feels like claws are crushing around your abdomen and a giant's foot is trying to concave your lower back. Not to mention you didn't have to face the emotional crisis of suddenly having to leave the world—you just had to deal with the emotional crisis of everything falling apart in the world. But of course, I got attacked by a bullet, not the monthly visit, so I guess it doesn't work that way.

I just wish I could go back to when period pain was my worst enemy.

At least I knew I would live through that one.

Challenge: You read it. There is so much to play with, direct address with your reader, sarcasm, deadpan, all this fun stuff. Begin your writing with the first crisis that comes to your mind, now stick a character in it--but have the character directly addressing the audience. He/She doesn't have to be sarcastic about it, but use the direct address to help the audience feel more involved. Have fun! Go!