Chapter 2 - #017

Two prison guards in full gear from head to toe patrol the corridors. The guard's feet thump loudly across the concrete metal lined floors. They remain attentive to every sound as they hold their weapons ready, fully armed. The guards come to a halt in front of the cell that reads 017. One of the guards points his weapon at the doors as the other takes a step towards the biometric keypad. The guard clears his throat nervously, before carefully typing the seven-digit code that was changed daily.

A ding is heard as the biometric keypad accepts the password and begins to scan the guard's biometrics for confirmation of authorization. The biometric system first compares the DNA and fingerprints of the guard to any matching guards in its systems. Upon confirmation of the guard's identity, the biometric sends out a scanning beam. The beam scans the guard from top to bottom for unauthorized items.

Satisfied, the biometric keypad lets out a beep of confirmation that is all well and as it should be. The system begins to unlock all seven locks on the door. Loud mechanical sounds are heard as the guard retreats and wait for the door weighing a ton to open. The door loudly creaks as it swings open for the guards to enter.

Keeping their weapons in the air, the guards cautiously and most alert enter the empty cell that only holds a small toilet welded into the wall to hide any access to pipes. The only other item inside is a figure that is fully strapped down in a chair with a helmet AI visor covering their head. No identifiable features can be seen other than the prisoner must be of human origin. With care, the guards ensure the prisoner 017 is still unconscious and sedated by checking the bio-readings from the AI Visor. The AI visor shows latent brain waves and a slow heartbeat, confirming that #017 was still asleep and sedated.

One of the guard signals clear, while the other guard speaks into their intercom. "#017 is still under. Permission to transport the prisoner?" The crisp voice replies, "Copy that. Permission for transport is a go."

The guard nods back to his partner, who pushes the chair back. The machine controlled wall silently opens and reveals a small closet holding a pulley. The pulley is pushed out into the open by another wall. The wall seals shut showing no lines of opening.

One of the guards pushes his weapon onto his back and grabs the pulley. With care, the guard pushes the prisoner onto the pulley, the entire time the other guard never removes his eyes nor his pointed weapon from the unconscious prisoner. The guard nods at his partner as they exit out into the hallway. The two guards need not wait as they are immediately surrounded by a waiting platoon of ten guards. With prisoner #017 firmly in the center of the formation, the solemn guard procession moves on.

The guards walk for a fair amount of time before arriving in a large hall where other similar guard processions are occurring, escorting several other unconscious prisoners in the same fashion. With great care, the prisoner's restraints are removed revealing the standard orange prisoner uniform underneath with exception that every prisoner is barefoot. The AI visor is the last to be removed as the pulley is carried away in a rush by the guards. The steel door shut close must firmly and soundly behind the anxious guards. Only once the door is firmly closed, the guards let out the breaths they were holding in and sigh in relief. The guards all grumble under their breaths promising to go out for drinks later that evening.

The prisoners on the ground are still for a few minutes, but like clockwork, they all awake at the same time. The prisoners immediately sit up or roll to their feet as they warily eye each other for a moment. The air is tense for a moment as faces are scanned until the tense air disperses upon recognition of familiar faces. Some of the friendlier prisoner's wave to each other in recognition and move into groups to chat. Small groups form with the majority of prisoners coming together, but a few prisoners remain separate and alone enclosed in their own area.