Terms and Conditions

Jackson was trying to convince him to go... somewhere. Jinyoung wasn't really paying attention.

He'd been to an 8-week student training program at the local hospital last year, but Mrs. Wang wasn't an idiot and knew that an 8-week training program wasn't the same as a medical degree. So Jinyoung's main duties at Hillside Residences were taking care of the residents' non-medical needs. This included things like helping old Mrs. Kang get down the stairs and assuring belligerently anxious Mr. Jung that the Japanese were no longer out patrolling the streets, and that they hadn't for decades now. Jackson followed Jinyoung as he made the rounds, still pressing his case.

"Come on," Jackson said. "It's been over a month, dude. You need to get back out there. Plus, if you don't do this for me, it could ruin the one good things that's happened to me in a really long time!"

Jinyoung bent over to pick up a piece of trash on the ground. Then he turned to face his friend.

"Sorry, what were you talking about, again?" Jinyoung said. Jackson looked unamused.

"You remember that girl I told you I was talking to?" Jackson said.

"I... vaguely remember it," Jinyoung said. "Which one? The one with highlights? And she looks like a cat?"

"That very one," Jackson said, clapping Jinyoung on the chest. "She's smart, she's funny, she's hot, she is literally the girl of my dreams. And we're kind of dating now."

"I'm happy for you," Jinyoung said, walking into a kitchen seeing as this conversation was taking a turn that he'd rather the residents and other caregivers didn't hear about. Jackson followed, and Jinyoung noticed that his friend was dressed nicer than usual.

"Are you two going out tonight?" Jinyoung said, gesturing to Jackson's obviously new jacket and matching pants. Jackson laughed.

"Actually, we are," Jackson said. "There's a carnival that opened up for the weekend downtown, I'm meeting her there."

"So, what does that have to do with me?" Jinyoung asked. "You want my permission or something?"

Jackson laughed but then his face turned solemn quickly. Jinyoung wondered what it was he had to say.

"Well, the thing is," Jackson said, clearing his throat. "My girl's got a friend—,"

"Stop right there," Jinyoung said. "I already know where this is going. The answer's no."

Jinyoung skirted around Jackson and tossed the stray piece of trash into the bin. Then he grabbed a broom and started to sweep the floor. Jackson scoffed, grabbing the broom from him.

"You don't even know what I was going to say," Jackson said. Jinyoung narrowed his eyes at him.

"You were going to ask me to come with you on a double date," Jinyoung said. "And I don't want to."

"But why?" Jackson said, still hounding him.

"I'm working," Jinyoung said.

"Doing what? Changing bed pans and looking out for Japanese soldiers?" Jackson said. "You know my mom would let you have the night out tonight if I asked her."

"Don't ask her," Jinyoung said, giving Jackson a stern look. "We had an agreement, 15% of my rent for three shifts a week. You know I always stand by my commitments."

Jinyoung exited through the back door and headed for the staircase leading up to the rooms. Jackson ran ahead of him, though, and blocked his way. He had an expression of mock hurt on his face.

"What about our friendship, then, huh?" Jackson said. "What about that commitment?"

"Why don't you ask Youngjae to do it?" Jinyoung suggested, turning around and heading back to the kitchen. Jackson chased after him.