Chapter Eight: We'll Meet Again

Waking up the morning that he was due to leave, Thomas frowned realising that he was alone in bed and there was no sign of Rosemary that he could see; her side of the bed was cold to touch, and he wondered where she had gone. 

Pushing back the covers, he swung his legs over the side of the bed and groaned knowing that this was not how he had wanted to spend his final morning at home. 

Things had been quiet since their talk with her father and Thomas was thankful for the time that he had gotten to share with his wife before he was forced to leave even if he wished that there hadn't been a cloud hanging over them. 

Standing from the bed, Thomas padded out of the bedroom and started his search for his wife; he wanted to spend his remaining hours in Birmingham with her before he had to head for the train station. 

Heading downstairs, Thomas paused at the sound coming from the kitchen for a moment before he made his way towards the sound. 

"You're meant to be sleeping in," Rosemary scolded him when he stepped into the kitchen, she had wanted to surprise him with breakfast in bed and that could not happen if he was standing in the kitchen. 

This morning would be the last that they spent together for a while and Rosemary wanted it to be special; she didn't even want to consider what would happen if he was killed and she never saw him again. 

"I'd rather be spending time with my wife," Thomas replied walking over to Rosemary and wrapping his arms around her from behind while she continued to make breakfast. 

It was not going to be easy and Thomas was determined to write to Rosemary whenever he had got the chance to do so; communication was not going to be easy and he was certain that there would be things that he would not be able to share with her. 

"Promise me... you'll come home safe," Rosemary whispered trying to ignore the lump that was forming in her throat, she did not want to spend the morning crying and ruin what time she had left with him. 

News had arrived the day before that one of their neighbours had lost a son only a week after him being shipped off to France to fight in this war.

There would be many that lost their fathers, sons, husbands, brothers, and Rosemary did not want to even dare think about her loved ones not coming back. 

It stung that she had not been able to speak with her father before he left, she wished they could make amends but she refused to feel bad about the fact that she had done something that made her happy. 

Rosemary could not imagine becoming a widow so soon after marrying Thomas, things were not meant to end that way for them and she feared what the future held for them with Thomas shipping out. 

There was silence at her words and Thomas knew that was not a promise that he could make; there was no telling what lay ahead for him as he left her behind, but he would do his best to come home. 

Turning to face Thomas, Rosemary searched his blue eyes knowing that he would not promise her such a thing; war was a terrible thing and there was no telling what the future would hold for him or if he would even make it back. 

"I love you Rosie... and I will do everything in my power to come home to you," Thomas whispered taking her face in his hands, he searched her brown eyes before he kissed her. 

Moments like this would be what he fought for, he would fight to keep his family safe, he would fight to come home to Rosemary and Thomas prayed that it would not be too long before they saw each other again. 

The war was meant to be finished by Christmas but only a fool would believe such a thing and Thomas Shelby was no fool; he was not sure when things would be over, but he was determined to make it home.