Chapter 3

The next day, Emily read in the library. Servant Vine stood near a bookshelf. She was not allowed to read the books in the main library, only the ones in the servant quarters library. Emily looked up at her. "Servant Vine?" asked Emily. Servant Vine turned. "How did you end up here?" asked Emily. She had heard the story from the other kids, but she wanted to hear it from Servant Vine.

"I was coming home from college," she said. "I was driving down the road. Then, out of nowhere, a blizzard hit. My car was thrown off the road. I tumbled down the side of the hill. I was thrown through the windshield. I died. Witch Broom found me. She...she changed my soul. She gave me a choice. I could either die or serve her for the rest of my life. I wanted to live, so here I am."

"Do you wish you would chosen the other option?" asked Emily. Servant Vine turned away. Emily knew the answer. She looked back at her book.

"Everyone here except you has died before," said Servant Vine. Emily looked up. "Witch Broom died, but using an ancient spell, she was brought back the next day. According to her, she went through a ton of pain because of it. The servants here were all brought back to life because of her," said Servant Vine.

"And you can never leave?" asked Emily.

"Only if you defeat her in a magic duel," said Servant Vine. "No one ever has though. There's a handful of servants who have tried and ended up her servant for all eternity."

"That's a high price," said Emily.

"Yes. Everything here has a price. That's why you have to be careful," said Servant Magic. Emily continued reading, but could not focus. She thought about Servant Vine's words. She put her book away. She looked up. Servant Vine was staring at the books. Emily walked towards her. She stood beside her. Servant Vine looked at her and smiled. "I love when you guys visit. You guys bring some life to this place," said Servant Vine.

"Magicalness really wants you to come visit. Everyone who met you wants to see you again," said Emily. Servant Vine smiled.

"I would love to go visit, but Witch Broom would never let me," said Servant Vine. She sighed. "Ready for some lunch?" she asked, changing the topic. Emily only nodded. She followed Servant Vine to the dining room. There was no one inside, but the food was set up. Emily sat down. She started eating. Servant Vine stood beside her. Emily saw Servant Vine look longingly at the food.

"Can you not eat?" asked Emily. Servant Vine shook her head. Emily felt bad for her. She stopped eating.

"Don't worry about me," said Servant Vine. "I want you to be nourished and healthy." Emily looked at her, then back at her food. Her stomach growled. She starting eating again. Witch Broom came in, the three head servants following her. Servant Vine stood up straighter. They all sat down. Emily finished as they started eating.

"Can we go back to the library?" asked Emily. Servant Vine nodded. She led Emily away. As they passed the entrance, Servant Vine saw a new boy cleaning. Servant Vine shook her head. She led Emily to the library. Emily started reading another book. Servant Vine just stood and watched. A few minutes later, the boy came in. He looked at them before starting to clean. Emily did not notice him. She could only see the head servants and Servant Vine.

Hours went by. The boy had come and gone. Servant Vine led Emily to dinner, then back to her bedroom. Emily changed into her pajamas. She looked at Servant Vine. "You said earlier your soul was changed. What do you mean by that?" she asked. Servant Vine sighed. She looked down and shook her head.

"Witch Broom is a very powerful being," she said. "She has found a way to shatter souls. She does that to people when they die so they can come back to life. She takes a part of their soul and keeps it. That's why we are forced to serve her. That's how she controls us."

"That's terrible," said Emily.

"It was our decision," said Servant Vine. "Now we have to live with it."

"Why do some of the servants have white eyes?" Emily asked.

"Those are the ones that rebelled against her. She made them immortal, then took control over their bodies. They will forever be stuck in their minds," said Servant Vine. She sighed. Emily sat on her bed.

"Is there anything I can do to help you?" asked Emily.

"When you go back, tell everyone I met that I miss them and love them," she said. She smiled sadly. Emily walked up and hugged her. Servant Vine hugged back tightly.

"They love you," said Emily. "They've all told me that the best part of their trip was getting to know you." Servant Vine let go of Emily. She smiled.

"Thank you," she said. Emily went back to her bed. She laid down. Servant Vine pulled the covers over her. Emily smiled. "You would make a great mom," said Emily.

"Thank you, but I'll never be one," she said.

"I've heard you are very powerful. Why haven't you challenged Witch Broom?" asked Emily.

"I would, but I don't want to end up her servant for all of eternity," said Servant Vine. "I'll live out of life, then be done."

"Do you ever get a break?" asked Emily.

"No. We can never eat. Never relax and read or write. Never sit down. Never have fun," said Servant Vine. "Well, I get to have fun when you guys visit once a year. You guys are like a breath of fresh air to me."

"You don't get to rest? Or sit down? Or sleep?" Emily asked.

"No," said Servant Vine, "but that was our choice. I don't want you to worry. Just get some sleep."

"Ok," said Emily, closing her eyes.