Chapter 12

From outside the gate, Malick remained a stranger to the Greens, and as he waited for Chris to work his way out of the bathroom and let him inside, he glanced up at the billowing storm clouds. He could almost feel the raindrops prickling his skin. What's taking Chris so long? He'd better not make me call him again...

Chris eventually emerged from around the side of the house, his head down, eyes averting Malick's. His indignation stiffened his body, and he stopped a few steps from the gate, sighing and digging his hands into the pockets of his pants. He was just a few steps from letting Malick into the cage—tempting him, teasing him. Malick scratched his head and pursed his lips as he turned his eyes toward the leaves of one of the trees in the front yard and listened to the breeze whispering through them. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other and stepped right up against the metal bars that kept him out. Gripping them to hold himself upright, he glared at Chris, who refused to move from where he stood.

"You know, you're really starting to piss me off," Malick said.

"Really? Well, that must be a first, then." Chris cast a nervous glance in the direction that he had come from. "I've never heard you use such strong language. It's very unlike you."

"Very unlike you," Malick muttered. "I'd like to see you keep this attitude of yours after you let me in."

"What if I don't let you in?"

"How many times do we have to go through this scenario, Chris? I've already told you. We made a compromise: you let me in to this innocent birthday party, and I will put in a good word to Mishi's boss to spare you the trouble of being written up for your accumulating debt. Honestly, you're the one getting the most benefit out of this situation."

"It's no benefit to me. You're ruining my day."

"Your day? It's not even your day. It's your friend's birthday. Isn't it her day?"

"I just don't understand why Scott thinks it's a good idea to let you in..."

"Ah, so that's your problem," Malick said with a smile. "It's not going as you had hoped."

"Scott is foolish to think you're anything like your father."

Malick's laughter bit sharply into the air. "That's pretty funny, actually. I'm looking forward to disappointing him."

"I've warned him. He just doesn't seem to care. His curiosity has gotten the better of him this time."

"Then let me in."

"I can't. He doesn't know any better."

Malick rolled his eyes and pushed away from the gate. "Look, this has been more difficult than it should have ever been."

"I'm protecting my friends, Malick. I can't let you in."

"What do you think I'm going to do?"

"I don't know. Your persistence worries me. Why don't you tell me what you're going to do?"

Malick moistened his lips as he considered his answer. "I don't really have a plan to do anything."

"You're a liar, and I'm not letting you in."

"No, I really don't have a plan." A nervous pain shot through his heart. "My father has his reasons for wanting me to come here. I have different reasons."

"Well, since it's all part of a larger plan that involves your father and whoever else, tell me what they want."

Malick's voice was a whisper. "Chris, it's my seventeenth birthday tomorrow."