Chapter 11: 'Outer Circle'

"So... What are we doing?" I said following the others. Wolfgang, Woody, Webber, WX-78, and Wes decided that we all needed to have a 'Guys Day Out'. It was mostly Wolfgang. Technically the term is 'Guys Night Out' but since being outside during the night time is a death sentence we're doing it during the day. 

"We are going to fight some monsters!" Wolfgang cheered. 

I rolled my eyes and continued my slouched walk behind them all. I've been feeling a bit weak ever since the whole Shadow Wilson incident. Well... That and the 'nightly activities' that Willow and I have been doing. But that's besides the point. I looked around once we stopped in the middle of a clearing. Wolfgang told us to sit on some fallen trees while he went to get a monster. It will be fun to watch him run around I suppose. 

We each started doing different tasks while waiting. WX-78 polished himself, Webber started making designs out of webs, Woody was talking to his ax, Wes kept blowing up balloons, and I shaved my stubble. After a while though Wolfgang came stumbling though the trees all worn out and scratched up. 

"Okay... So... No monster fighting today..." he said and sat down on on an empty log. 

"Well that's a shame. I was kind of looking forward to seeing you sprint through the trees. An-" Webber dropped a garland on my head, "And there doesn't seem to be anything else going on."

"Oh come on Wilson I'm sure theres something we can do tod-", "Boing boing boing boing boing boing". I sprang up with a smile on my face.

"What in the world?..." Woody said with a quizzical look.

With even more boinging the small, furry, pumpkin shaped creature bounced over to me with his tongue lolling out of his mouth. Once as my feet he started panting.

"Chester! Have you been on your way to me this entire time? It's been a month and a half! Was my camp that far away?" I said bending down and patting him on his... Top.

Upon entering the camp I was greeted by a very still Wendy looking me dead in the eyes and then holding out her arms. I quietly handed Chester to her. She held him against her chest and then grabbed my hand and pulled me off into the camp. 

I have made transactions with Maxwell that were less unsettling than that.

She took me inside her tent to play. Or so I thought. She just sat across the table from me while petting and hugging Chester and staring at me. 

"So uh... How is it going Wendy? I see you're fond of Chest-", "I see you're fond of Willow.".

Maxwell, I never thought I'd miss your unsettling chats.

"What are you talking about Wendy?" I said nervously, rubbing the back of my head.

"Do you really think I'm that naive?".

Maxwell, I could seriously use one of your tricks right now!

"N-Now Wendy, I can explain."

She stared at me with an emotionless look. 

Good lord Maxwell! Where are you when I actually need you?! Maybe the hounds will attack?!

"W-Willow and I... It just sort of... Uh..." 

She sighed and looked at me sadly. 

"Listen Wilson. Willow means a lot to me. She's like my mother, and I am well aware she feels the same. And like a good daughter I want nothing more then for her to be happy. And she hasn't been this happy in so long. At first I thought she'd end up with Wolfgang but it was very clear that that wasn't going to happen once I saw how different they are. You, however share a few features with her."

"Oh well... Thank you, Wendy. It makes me very happy to know you support Willow and I's relationship."

"I suppose there are worse people for her to love than an insane scientist who doesn't even know what emotions are. Like a meathead or a werebeaver."

"Ignoring that last part."

"Best you do. Willow's 'Inner Circle' doesn't have any clue I know almost everyone's secrets."

"So... I suppose we have our own little circle now?"

"More line a line segment."

"Heh, indeed."

"Would you like to make it a circle?" she said with an excited grin.

"What?"

"Well, Willow has her own group of people to help her run the camp. And you ran your own camp for three years. So how about we make our own group of people to help run the camp? It will make things less stressful for Willow."

"First of all, your intelligence at such a young age is frightening. Second, yes."

She gave a smirk to that.

"So, who will be in our group?" she asked.

"Hmm... People who aren't in the 'Inner Circle'... So Webber, Woody, and Wes?"

"Agreed, they are the only others besides us and the'Inner Circle'."

"Alright, now let's go gather the 'Outer Circle'."

"So, what's going on?" Webber asked as Wendy showed him to his seat in her tent.

"Well, Webber. This is the first meeting of what Wendy and I like to call the 'Outer Circle'."

"'Outer Cirlce'?" Woody asked.

"Well, Willow has a group called the 'Inner Circle', which consists of everyone not present here, that helps her run the camp. So Wendy and I have decided to form the 'Outer Circle' to take some of the burden off of her. Of course we will only meet when something unusual happens. And seeing as the 'Inner Circle' meets at the bonfire, we'll meet here in Wendy's tent. Because she has a table." I explained.

It took only a frightening look from Wendy to let them know I was serious and, unsurprisingly, they agreed. 

Everyone but me and Wendy left. Upon me turning to leave, I noticed that Chester was struggling to exit Wendy's grasp. After seeing her sad face I bent down and handed her Chester's Eyebone.

"Whats this?" she asked confused.

"That's the Eyebone. Where ever it goes Chester will follow. I'd like you to have it."

"Really?" 

"Yes. You and Chester seem to get along so well. Plus you can store things inside him. It will make carrying things easier for you. You know. Because of your small size and all."

She set Chester on the ground and hugged me. 

"I suppose there are worst people to have as a future dad than an insane scientist." 

My cheeks went red and I speed walked my way out with an embarrassed cough, Wendy chuckling as I left.