❝two❞

chapter 2
new kid

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.

〰nova anderson〰

I awake to my alarm, blaring the song 'complicated' by Olivia O'brien. I like her songs, only because they show a true representation of my life. I slowly drag my lanky body out of bed, tripping over multiple clothes on my way to the bathroom. As I reach for the door handle, it immediately opens, showing a very groggy Sevry behind it. He rubs his eyes and smiles at me. I look down at his pink slippers and giggle.

"What?" He says, stiflingly a laugh

"I'm just admiring your fabulous slippers" I say, dragging out the word 'fabulous '

"They are truly amazing aren't they" he proudly, wiggling his feet at me, causing me to laugh.

"You better get ready, it takes ya about five hours anyway" I say pulling him out of the room and walking past him. He scoffs at my attempt to insult his morning routine and walks back into his bedroom. I shut the door of the bathroom and look around, taking in the surroundings, as I do everyday. Our bathroom isn't small, yet it isn't like some kind of five star bathroom you see on those rich people tv shows. I walk towards the basin, taking a moment to look at myself in the mirror. My hair isn't really messed up, it's always like that anyway, but my eyes hold extremely large bags under them from me staying up until three am.

I set up my speaker and click play on my iPhone 6, making it play "brokenhearted" by karmin. Sevry hates the music that I like, fair enough because I think that music he likes is utterly disgusting.

I step into my room after my extremely hot shower and flick through my wardrobe for clothes. I pull out a pair of "boyfriend jeans" as most people at my school call them, and a black Nirvana t shirt. I also grab a black oversized hoodie because, why not?

I run downstairs, sliding around the wall as I collide with something big.

"Woahhhhh darling watch where ya going" my Uncle Ross says, ruffling my hair as he nudges me in the shoulder.

"Sorry, I'm a growing girl I'm real hungry" I say laughing

"Well, best get ya waffles off the counter then" he replies with a wink before walking out the door. As I get into the kitchen, I see my mum and dad sitting at the bench, Sevry nowhere to be seen.

"Yes, I beat him" I mummer to myself, smiling as I rush over and grab my plate of freshly cooked waffles. I set my plate down on the table, making my parents jump and look up from the paper.

"ayeeee Nova your up" my dad yells, high-fiving me from across the tale. My mother rolls her eyes as I sit down. All of a sudden, Sevry comes bounding down the stairs and stops when he sees me. I smirk at him

"five hours" I mouth to him and he rolls his eyes, nudging me with his shoulder as he sits next to me.

"So what ya got on today Sevs" I say, playfully hitting him

"Sarah's coming over" he says and I groan. Sarah's his girlfriend and frankly, I hate her. She wears tight tops so that boys are constantly staring at her "you know what" and for some reason, she's always fluttering her eyes like there's some dust in them or something.

"Don't groan nov it's rude. Sarah's a lonely girl" my mother says and my and my dad both choke on our food and look at her. Then we exchange glances, rolling our eyes in the process.

"Oh yea mum I just love Sarah she's my favourite person in the world Sevs so lucky to have her" I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes yet again. I look up at the clock and the time reads 7:45 which means I have to be at the gas station convenience store in fifteen minutes . I quickly shove the rest of my waffle in my mouth and head out the door, grabbing my car keys and yelling goodbye to Sevry and my parents.

I shove the keys into the ignition of my tan coloured pickup truck and swing the door open, throwing my phone into the passengers side.

Once I arrive, I immediately smell the stench of gas being poured into cars. I walk through the doors, admiring the little ding the door makes when somebody arrives. I turn to my left and see Claudia, my boss standing at the counter reading through a magazine.

"Sup clauds" I say smiling at her. She lifts her head up and gives me a smile back

"Look who it is, the great Nova everybody" she says laughing and pulling me in for a hug.

"What's on today's agenda for me" I say clasping my hands together.

"Well, I need you to restock the confectionary isle" she says, pointing to the towns and rows of chocolate s and lollies. I nod and head over there to get started. At least twenty minutes later, the bell rings, making my head shoot up. I hear the footsteps getting closer until there's a boy about my age standing next to me, looking at the array of foods. I look up and him and he does the same. We both smile at each other for a second until I break away looking back down at the tub of lollies in my hand.

The mysterious boy had short, jet black hair the stood out and a large amount of freckles that covered his whole face, making it look like a constellation of stars. I snap out of my thoughts when he groans, throwing his hands by his side.

"What's up" I say, popping the 'p' he look at at me with a face of relief

"Oh I didn't know you worked here so I didn't want to be awkward asking someone random for help" he says and I laugh flicking my eyes back to the shelf

"Whatcha need help with" I say placing the box down.

"What's you favourite chocolate?" He asks and I look back to the shelf. Living in the countryside of Oklahoma, there's not really much to choose from seeing we practically live in the middle of nowhere

"I'd go with m&m's but I dunno what-" I'm cut off by the boy reaching over and grabbing the m&m packet from my hands

"I've never had these before" he says and I nearly fall over in shock

"You've....never had these before" I say, pausing before I say never

"Nope, but after today i will" he says walking up to the counter. I follow him, seeing the Claudia is out I need to run the register.

"Tell me what you think of them" I say scanning them through machine and handing them to him

"How will I contact you" he says looking at me

"Give me your phone" I say holding out my hand. He unlocks it and hands it to me. I add my number in his contacts under the name "Nova the checkout girl" and hand it back to him. He smiles

"Your names Nova?" He questions. I nod

"That's a nice name" he says, also nodding

"I like it to" I say smiling at him

"Give me your phone" he says smirking and holding out his hand. I repeat what he did before and place it in his hands. He types away for a few second and hands it back to me. He put his name as "James "never had m&ms" Parker". I smile at the name and put my phone back in my pocket.

"Well I best be going, see ya round Nova" he says, waving and walking out he door

I liked this boy
But little did I know he was about to change my life forever