vi

'hey caleb,' sadie says, standing up. 'i'm sadie.'

'yeah, i'm noah, and that's finn. you probably know millie and gaten?' noah says.

he nods timidly and i smile. 'hey, you're really good at dancing. do you take classes?' i say to break the ice.

'no i, uh, don't have the money.' caleb looks really ashamed and i sigh.

'sorry about that. it's okay, you don't need classes. i think it's natural talent you've got there. do you have any other interests?'

he goes a bit red and nods. 'yeah, uh, i write songs. raps, mostly.'

'that's so cool!' sadie says.

'yeah, do you think you could rap one?' finn asks.

he nods shyly and clears his throat. he starts rapping quietly and starts gaining confidence, and i try to make out the words. i hear something about being nineteen and not making it big or something along those lines. he stops and blushes.

'dude, that was so good!' finn says.

'yeah, you write cool stuff,' noah says. 'you know, we should all work on some songs together.'

'like, as a band?' i ask. gaten nods excitedly and i step back a bit. 'hey, i don't know. i don't really sing in public. i'm not really musically talented.'

'hell yeah you are,' finn says. my cheeks start burning and noah looks kinda distant.

'you guys do the band thing. you have gaten and caleb to sing. i'll be your groupie.'

'millie, if you don't sing, i won't either. come on, it's only a bit of fun!' gaten says.

i sigh. 'fine. but only for messing around. i am not doing gigs for you guys.'

'yeah, sure,' finn says, smirking at sadie. they smile at me and stand up.

-

'so are we a band or what?' sadie asks.

noah puts his hand in the middle. 'who's in?'

finn and sadie wander over and hover their hands over noah's.

gaten and i exchange a sceptical glance as caleb follows their actions.

he puts his hand in and i'm left on my own.

'millie?' noah asks.

i sigh, doing the same. they all cheer and throw their hands into the air.