Chapter Thirty Seven - Ruby Red

Harry and Emma's apartment always looked strikingly different when the evening came around, a time when some of the building's old traditional roots made themselves known. In the daylight, every room felt appropriately modern, but when the sun faded and the curtains closed it was the house lightings turn. Old fixtures had been replaced, but not with some fancy bulb or neon whatsits.

Instead Harry and Emma had ordinary bulbs, made up to look like lanterns or candles. They emitted a strange glow that reflected off of all the varnished wooden surfaces, that cast long shadows across the walls and floors. The house wasn't as well lit as it could be, but you couldn't really say it was dark either. It made her feel all the traditions, all the history that was stored inside the house. It made her feel like she was standing in something straight out of the eighteenth century, as if she was a part of one of the period dramas that she, her Mum and Emma liked to watch together every Sunday.

Her aunt and uncle had replaced all the antiques, but in a way they were still there, waiting to come alive when the clock struck six o'clock. Like something out of a Disney movie.
Her uncle said he liked to just sit in the study and think, telling her that the lighting was almost soothing. That it had a way of making everything outside disappear, so that all he had to focus on was what was inside the house. Emma was the same, always mentioning how she loved to read a book in the living room, and gaze up at the chandelier above her whenever she needed a break.

"Spikes on the move." a gruff voice above her pulled her out of her thoughts.

The protection officers around them and stationed at the door all stiffened up upon hearing the information, their gazes slowly floating across to the stairs where Harry and Emma stood.

If Ellie wasn't wearing sweatpants that dragged along the floor, no shoes and one of her Mum's old shirts, she would think they were all attending some glamorous ball. What with all the men in tuxes around her and her aunt dressed up like the proper princess that she was, but instead she was stuck inside with her sister and Jamie, who was already wearing his Spiderman pyjamas.

I hope he's planning on going to bed soon.

As she watched her aunt and uncle seemingly glide down the stairs arm in arm, Ellie couldn't help but feel like some music was supposed to be playing, something epic to announce their arrival.

Harry's tuxedo was perfectly tailored to fit him, his dress shoes were newly polished and caught the light of the chandelier with each step down the stairs that he took. He looked like a gentleman, a lordly lord, a prince.

And where the men had little options for any variety when dressing up, the women had almost too many. Emma wore a sparkling red gown with small gemstones embroidered into the bodice, catching the light of the chandelier even more so than Harry's super shiny shoes. When her feet emerged from beneath the dress every time she took a step forward, you could see the matching red heels that were clicking on the hardwood steps. Her hair, normal fluttering freely around her shoulders, was bunched up into a bun tidily above her head, held in place by even more red jewels.

Alex nudged her arm. "Thinking about ballrooms and fancy dresses again?"

Ellie only had to look at her sister for Alex to have an answer, likely she knew the answer already.

"God you watch too much Downton" Her sister snorted with laughter.

"Shut up, you would love it if you just tried it once"

Emma and Harry stood before them, inspecting them before they left for the evening. Even if her aunt and uncle were the ones who had dressed up for an important occasion, it was still Ellie, Alex and Jamie who were given a good once-over. There was nothing to inspect, unless they were being judged on whether they could be trusted to stay home alone all evening, in which case Ellie made sure to show them her most innocent and honest aura.
Harry stood behind Emma, holding her purse as she smoothed over Jamie's hair with her hand. Then she moved over to Alex and brushed some imaginary dust off of her shoulder. Maybe she thinks the house will stay neat and tidy if we ourselves are neat and tidy. Emma turned to her last, the rubies of her necklace tingling together as she knelt down in front of her.