Chapter Thirty One - A Parent's Worst Nightmare

When the peace and quiet was interrupted once more by the harsh explosions of quad bikes, Kate was immediately on her feet. She could tell they were heading back up the hill when the engines suddenly sounded much more laboured, and knew that it was now time to recite her carefully planned angry mother speech to her daughters.

"It's about time" she said irritably.

From her hilltop view, she could see her daughters completely ignore her rules by racing off and vanishing into the forest. It frustrated her knowing that she couldn't get down there and chase after them, and had hoped that Will would at least do that for her.

But like the mischievous devils that they were, Ellie and Alex had disappeared before anyone could punish them for it. So she sat and waited, seething internally as she calmly chatted with her parents and occasionally went back inside to check on the babies.

She already had the punishments lined up. Quad bikes would be banned until they were older. She thought that one was quite appropriate. The rest would be the standard extra chores, among other things, and perhaps diaper changing duties for the rest of the weekend. Babysitting their cousin James was also on the cards since they hated it so much, even if he was the sweetest little boy. The rest she would just come up with on the spot, whatever seemed to be appropriate.

So when the humdrum of quad bikes returned, she was ready. She strode forward purposefully as the first of the quad bikes appeared over the edge of the hill, but she knew something was wrong when only three adult sized bikes had returned.

It was immediately obvious to her that her daughters were hurting, the evidence being their pained expressions as the bikes came to a halt. If that wasn't enough, they were being carried like dolls by their father and uncle.

Her power stride was supposed to stay rigid and controlled, designed to look imposing. It did not last a second. Her measured steps quickly became a hurried sprint, her ominous expression changing to shock, completely distraught by what she seeing. Even the carefully planned speech about responsibility, trust and consequences turned to jelly in her mouth.

"What the hell happened?" she demanded, looking accusingly at the three adults as if it was somehow their fault.

"Alex cut her knee pretty badly, Ellie damaged her wrist. I'm not sure but it looks broken" Will hurriedly explained as they approached, struggling to find the words or time to be any more descriptive.

"We're sorry" Ellie and Alex blurted out through tears. From all the tear marks that ran through the mud on their faces, it was clear that they had been crying for at least a few minutes.

Will and Mark held her daughters close, turning them in their arms to face her so she could get a closer look. It was almost like they were presenting her with gifts in the same way the doctors had presented them when the girls were born, albeit they were a little older and a little more damaged this time around.

Kate bent over them, her hair dangling down and brushing against her daughter's faces as she examined them closely, first with Ellie and then with Alex. Her fingers gently stroked the girl's skin whilst she looked down at them lovingly, trying to provide some soothing respite.

"Mum, call security!" she called out to her mother behind her. She hoped by now that her mother would know not to call the emergency services, otherwise this private family event had a much bigger chance of becoming tomorrows top story in the papers.

"They're already on their way hon." Her mother replied, moving a small phone away from her ear.

The mud and debris that still clung to her children's skin made it hard to see if anything else was wrong, the only clear sign being dark crimson stains of blood with the most obvious one being Alex's knee.