3.2 - The Sandwich Method - Doesn't Work

One of the complaints I've had regarding the critique I give is that I should use what's called the "sandwich method". For those who don't know how this method works, it involves saying something positive, saying the negative thing, and then saying something positive. Except, it honestly never works. For starters, I say something positive, it gets ignored. People honestly don't care that you have "something nice to say" simply because something negative is said, but it's also taking what "something nice to say" actually means.

Specifically, something nice to say doesn't mean not saying anything negative, or having something positive to say. Believe it or not, telling someone the truth actually counts as something nice to say, because niceness isn't based on whether the action gives off a positive or negative feeling, but whether the act is done for the right reasons. Is it okay to lie to people, or avoid telling them the truth? The truth is, it isn't. However, I started reading some articles on why this method doesn't work.

In Roger Schwarz's article The "Sandwhich Approach" Undermines Your Feedback, he identifies three reasons the approach is used. First, it's easier to hear and accept negative feedback. Second, this means one is giving a balanced feedback. Third, one reduces the stress felt by the individual receiving the feedback. How though does this apply to critiquing fanfic.

For the first, I've honestly discovered it honestly doesn't make it easier to hear and accept negative feedback. The reason comes down to the fact people who typically get upset regarding negative feedback won't even listen to the positive stuff you say, and focus on the negative. However, the sandwich feedback works well with children, because they do listen to both the positive and negative you've got to say, but the thing is, you need to be at least thirteen to have an account, but if you're mature enough to have an account, you should be past the need to use the sandwich method on.

Second, it honestly doesn't provide balanced feedback. Balanced feedback doesn't mean giving equal amounts of positive and negative feedback. According to the Free Management Library's article Giving and Receiving Feedback, "balanced feedback provides feedback on what is being done well as well as what could be improved. The positive feedback builds confidence and reinforces the "good" behavior you want to see more of. It clarifies expectations. It feels good. The negative feedback is given factually and preferably with suggestions for improvement."

The first problem which arises with giving balanced feedback lies with whether or not there are any good behaviors one wants to see more of. There are times when I've come across stories with no good writing behaviors, only bad ones. In these cases, one is stuck with putting forth the idea that you think the writer can do better, but that's still something that should leave a feel good feeling, but helps to clarify expectation.

The second problem is, with creative writing, giving suggestions is problematic, as writers can take this as you trying to tell them how to do something, but there is a lot learned on trying to figure out solutions to the problem one's own. I personally believe in the trial and error method, but that someone will seek help and ask the right questions when they are read to.

The biggest point here is, the sandwich method doesn't actually provide balanced feedback. The focus is to much on softening the blow, then actually giving feedback

As for the stress part, having some stress in one's life is actually healthy. I read somewhere about how someone's flatmate dropped out of uni because they thought all of their mental health problems would go away once they hit uni, but they don't. Instead, one finds oneself thrust into the real world where those typically helping you deal with your anxiety aren't there, but exceptions aren't made for your issues either.