10.7 - Self-Esteem, Insecurity/Confidence Issues

One of the most frustrating things for me as a reader is when fanfic writers work with an insecurity headcanon for a canon character who in canon isn't actually insecure. My issue with utilizing these kinds of headcanon for canon characters can be summed up by a quote from an essay written by bex1112 for the Fanfic's profile's How to Write Fanfiction.

"People stick to their codes, so they will always act within a set of parameters."

The problem with an OoC character lies with the fact the parameters created by the characters personality melt away into nothing as if they never existed, but the way they act is definitely outside of these parameters. I've seen people argue human behavior isn't predictable yet there are still parameters to said behavior just as there are parameters for changes to the actual parameters in a person's behavior.

Most stories delving into an insecure headcanon don't go into why a character quite secure and confident in themselves is no longer so. Some writers try brushing this off as the result of PTSD, yet said writers don't bother looking into the parameters of PTSD yet stop and think about the fact the events in canon didn't in canon cause PTSD yet now they do.

However, I think the problem lies much deeper.

The writer doesn't actually understand what is or isn't an insecure character. In fact, many times the character comes across as self-centered because they act like the world revolves around them and blame all of their problems on everyone else. Teenaged characters escalate things because they suddenly know better than adults. Said characters also utilize their problems to get other characters onto their side, or conveniently do whatever they want.

In fact, Lance from Voltron: Legendary Defenders is a definite character fans mistake as having insecurity and confidence issues, but this misunderstanding can help demonstrate the misunderstanding. Why do the fans see Lance as a character with insecurity issues? This comes down to two particular scenes where Lance discusses what he isn't and what he can't have. The fact people mistook these as signs of insecurity made me realize why people get this wrong.

The online dictionary defines insecurity as "uncertainty or anxiety about oneself, lack of confidence", but people jump onto the part regarding self.

What I mean is people jump on the fact the manner in which a person perceives themselves ends up shaken, thus they conclude the person must feel insecure regarding themselves. However, the problem with this logic comes down to the fact everyone feels insecure at times, so in the same manner we can't say someone is suffering from depression because they're sad – see 10.4.2 – Depression – we can't say someone has insecurity issues because they feel insecure.

However, what does this have to do with Lance?

Well, just the other day I was doing one of my random threads and I came across a comment from someone who complained that Lance's insecurity issues were never explored in the show, but one of the things I've noticed whenever I've read these comments and even essays on the subject the writer either never identifies his insecurities or completely misreads his character, sometimes projecting themselves onto Lance.

Does he have insecurity issues?

The first incident where we see Lance feel insecure is a scene where Lance compares himself to others. Fans quickly jump on the fact he is comparing himself to others because this can be a sign of feeling insecure, however, can is the operative word. People also compare themselves to others when they're jealous of what another person's achieved, but in this particular case we're talking about a character who loves being the center of attention.

In fact, Lance goes on after listing every trait of his teammates that he's jealous of and says, "And I thought I was the team's sharpshooter, but I guess no one else thinks that. Maybe I don't have a thing." In fact, Lance's thoughts never cross into lacking confidence in himself specifically and instead focus on the fact nobody notices him. There's no getting around the fact he's jealous of the fact everyone else stands out more than him, but he feels he should stand out the most.